Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Late Night with Madie Fi

Madie's got a bit of a cough, caused certainly by a post-nasal drip. It took her until 9:15 to fall asleep, so when I went in to check on her before we went to bed at 10, I felt horribly torn: do I wake her now and take her potty or hope she'll make it through? Mike said he gave her a bunch of water before bed and she didn't use the bathroom after, so I did get her up. Then I rubbed some lemon and lavender on her chest and we headed to bed.

I didn't stay in bed long because my other child wouldn't settle down--let's just say I think I'm going to be in for a 10 pm feeding--so I got up, ate some toast, then went in to check on Madie. She'd been back down for about 20 or 30 minutes and I hadn't heard a peep--including a cough I might add--so I assumed she was asleep. Nope! She sat right up and greeted me as I sat on the top of her toy box by her bed.

Madie: "I'm awake."
Me: "Yes, I see that. Why, honey? I thought you were tired."
Madie: "No, I'm not tired anymore. I'm a little bit awake."
Me: "Well, yeah, I know. But ya know, hon, you're sick, and you really need your sleep. You don't think you can lie down and go back to sleep?"
Madie: "No. I want to come out. Why were you making lunch?" She was going off of hearing me warm water in the microwave for tea.
Me: "I didn't have lunch, I just had some tea." I didn't mention the bread...
Madie: Leans over and climbs onto my lap.
Me: "Do you want a song?"
Madie: "The Mumma song." ("Baby Mine" from Dumbo, which she has recently taken to watching.)

I sang the song, then a couple others. Throughout them all, she is nuzzling me. This is her ultimate sign of affection: she rubs her face all over mine and kisses me. (It makes singing very difficult.) Finally I told her it was time to go back down.

Madie: Whispering "I'm not done with your arms." I couldn't help but laugh!
Me: "Oh? Well, I'm sorry but you really need your sleep, and so do I, so I think my arms are done."

She did go down a couple minutes later and has slept well the rest of the night. She's such a sweetie. I'm excited for her to be a big sister, and I know she's excited too. Now that we've moved all of Finnegan's clothes, bed, and even a little rattle into the nursery, I think she's starting to understand it more. She sees that whoever this Finnegan is, he uses a lot of the same things she does and has an actual place. She's been practicing like crazy on her dollies. She diapers them (fairly well, I must say), rocks them, puts them to bed in the bassinet and closes the door, telling me to "shhh, because Dolly is sleeping." If we're in the car (without Kaleb), and a dolly is tagging along, she insists I put her in the other carseat. She's very responsible about all of this, and I'm sure will continue to be so--at least until Finn is big enough to start taking things of "hers." Hopefully it will help that I started months ago to declare pretty close to everything in the house as mine in an effort to get her to relax about Kaleb using some of the toys. Madie owns very, very few things in this home, as does, according to her, Dad. They can be paupers together, I guess. 

4 comments:

ML said...

Oh my goodness she is the sweetest thing ever! I can't wait to see you all!

Ben and Kristen Call said...

So cute! I am sure she will be the BEST big sister ever!

Unknown said...

You are a great mother, Mal! What a sweet moment with Madie. I am excited for Finnegan to join your beautiful family!

Tari said...

Adam has the same philosophy about our children "owning" things. But really, it makes sense to little kids and it's true... :)