Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Timers

Today has been good. It was beautiful out--a little hot around dinner time but not atrocious once I sat down under the fan. Madie never took her nap, but she did have her quiet time (I require an hour, so she just plays in her room if she won't sleep), and after she came out we read some books she got with Mike at the library yesterday. It was nice to spend some time with just Madie while Kaleb slept. We usually only get a few minutes before she goes down or he wakes up, but today we had an hour or so.

It was a good day for trying new things: for supper I made a pineapple quinoa salad. I really liked it, even though it didn't have a ton of time to chill so it was still a little warm. I think if it was cold it would be the perfect summer dish, but warm pineapple is also delectable, so I'm really not complaining.

After dinner while Mike was making granola (oh the heavenly smell!!), I made my first batch of soap! It's a simple hand soap recipe I found on Pinterest--I'm trying to get away from excess packaging and chemicals around the house without going entirely broke. I found all-natural Tom's of Maine bar soap on sale at Target: 2 for $3.25. To make a gallon of soap it only takes one bar, a gallon of water, and a tablespoon of glycerin. HELLO! That is some cheap handsoap. Anyway, my part is done. Now I just let it sit overnight until it's the consistency of handsoap and pour it into a bottle. And speaking of heavenly smells, just a quick FYI: Tom's of Maine Olive Oil and Vitamin E bar soap smells incredible. I opened it and thought, "O, holy soap! Where hast thou been all my life?!" Just sayin'...

While Mike finished up his granola making (and vacuumed the floor--sweet man), Madie and I went out to the playground for some before-bedtime energy release. She climbed the biggest ladder entirely by herself for the first time, and the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth time. On our way back we broke out her new sidewalk chalk and colored on the top steps leading to our apartment. She thought that was pretty awesome. We finished up with a bubble bath and a wet kiss. 

3 comments:

MJ said...

I'm super interested in the soap, and I'm Pinterest-tarded. I cannot find it on your page.

please help! :)

MJ said...

ha! Found it!!! :)

ML said...

Ahhh. It does sound like the perfect day.