Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sleepless

I made my first blanket a few days ago. You see, Madie had recently received and become very much attached to a faux fleece blanket given her by my mum. Thanks, Grammy!

The fleece blanket (henceforth to be known as Soft Blanket) could keep a Chinese crested dog warm in Antarctica. It was great for winter, but now that it's not hitting freezing at night, Madie was waking up over and over again in the night, swamped in pools of sweat. 

Thanks, Grammy.

After getting up with her being too hot three or four times a night for a week, Mike and I had had it. 

"We need to get her a different blanket," was Mike's plea.

We tried wrapping her up in an afghan from her Great-Grammy Haskins, but it is now too small and would often come up off her feet at night. After waking up twice a night for a week with Madie's feet freezing cold, Mike and I had had it--again.

"What we need is a blanket that is light and big. You need to make it," was Mike's instruction.

So I took Madie to Joanne's--Kaleb tagged along, of course, wreaking havoc on the store and my nerves--to pick out some fabric. I think we're happy with the results.


Pink with white birds and black cages on one side, brightly-colored circles on the other. Both Madie's choices--the girl's got taste.



It's actually a duvet cover, so one end is open with a flap that folds over. In the winter we'll slip a thicker blanket inside and she can stay nice and snug all season long.

For now, we're enjoying full nights of sleep.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

supermom pulls through again!! Great job!! and nice fabric choices :) LOVE the circles!!

Unknown said...

love the fabric madie! go mallory for making a blanket. i'm glad that we don't have those problems at the moment.