Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mother's Day

As I type this Mike is brainwashing Madie into using her new water wings the next time we go swimming. She likes them, but she has a tendency to suddenly change her minds about things when it would really be convenient for her NOT to, so she's sitting with him watching youtube video after youtube video of children with water wings.

This morning, I awoke to Madie calling out from her room because she was uncovered, and as I jolted awake--totally oblivious of date or time--Mike just about attacked me back onto the bed.

"Stay down!" he said.

I cluelessly obeyed--he's always welcome to get up with Madie--and five minutes later it occurred to me why he reacted so violently: Mother's Day.

He came in afterwards and slipped on his socks and shoes. He had told me the night before he was going to go early to his garden plot (at his work) and water the plants. He brought me back a handful of HUGE roses and irises. They're sitting in a vase Madie and I painted together a few months ago.  Madie just found out what a rose is (rather than just flowers in general) and she was very excited to see three enormous ones sitting on the table.

While he was out, I got up and worked on my lesson for Relief Society, which, I am happy to say, seemed to go well. I was assigned to give kind of an introduction/overview/informal training on the new visiting teaching standards. What I didn't want was to give a lecture, and hope I achieved that.

After Mike got back, he set to work making breakfast and I went in to get Madie up. I lifted her up and took her back to my bed with my amazing pregnancy pillow and we snuggled until she woke. Then we came out to find popovers just finishing up in the oven. I even allowed myself to eat one with strawberry jam. I haven't had anything like strawberry jam for months and months. We went for a good long walk when we were finished (after I got home, my hips told me it was really too long--I was sore for the rest of the day) and my blood sugar reading was fine. In fact, it's been fine all day, which I guess was God's gift to me today. Really, I couldn't have asked for a better one. It was great to be able to enjoy a sliver of cheesecake at the end of church and not worry too much about a spiked reading.

For dinner, Mike grilled some salmon and cooked up some roasted red potatoes with rosemary and some sautéed asparagus. Oh, it was delightful. Almost as delightful as the happy game of hide-and-seek we played after. (Video to come--but probably on Facebook.)

I love being a mum, and I am grateful to have had the mother I did. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but she's been a good example to me of what I hope to be and how to get there. I'm also thankful for my mother-in-law. She always makes sure to get me a gift--this year it's a cookbook from her ward, and I'm excited to try some things out!--but really, it's hard to beat the gift that is Mike. He's the kindest, and by far the most thoughtful person I have ever known, and a sense of humor to boot! So, thanks, Karen!

And thanks to all the women in my life who have stepped in as mothers (legally and informally) throughout my 25 years. You've all made differences--big and small--in my life.

1 comment:

ML said...

Ah Mallory. You are so wonderful and I am happy you are happy!