Some of you may know Mike and I have been watching the three children of some friends of ours while they're in England for the week. We're almost done--they get back on Saturday morning--but it's been an interesting experience. Let's just say we are glad twins--and triplets--don't run in either of our families! I thought I'd share a few highlights.
Deep thought:
~If Wish Bear can grant pretty much any wish, why are there any other Care Bears? And for that matter, is there really any risk in any of the episodes?
Proud moments:
~The food is a little different than what we normally have at home. I don't know that it's worse or better, it's just--mooore--what exactly? Faster? Yes, it's faster. Much faster. I was a little worried Madie might end up not feeling very well after a week (she's got sensitive bowels, if you know what I mean) or worse: that her tastes would be spoiled. All my work! Not that we only eat organic foods or even all good foods--I love to bake and Mike's obsession with homemade ice cream is hard to reel in sometimes--but we eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and vegetarian meals and fishy meals--a nice balance I think. Madie eats two or three whole fruits a day. So last night while the other three were chowing down on saucy chicken and rice (with extra sauce poured on top), I was very happy to see that the first thing gone from Madie's plate was the broccoli. :)
~Despite all the craziness and extra kids, I've gotten a lot of reading done. In fact, I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Oh so good!
Breakthrough:
Deep thought:
~If Wish Bear can grant pretty much any wish, why are there any other Care Bears? And for that matter, is there really any risk in any of the episodes?
Proud moments:
~The food is a little different than what we normally have at home. I don't know that it's worse or better, it's just--mooore--what exactly? Faster? Yes, it's faster. Much faster. I was a little worried Madie might end up not feeling very well after a week (she's got sensitive bowels, if you know what I mean) or worse: that her tastes would be spoiled. All my work! Not that we only eat organic foods or even all good foods--I love to bake and Mike's obsession with homemade ice cream is hard to reel in sometimes--but we eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and vegetarian meals and fishy meals--a nice balance I think. Madie eats two or three whole fruits a day. So last night while the other three were chowing down on saucy chicken and rice (with extra sauce poured on top), I was very happy to see that the first thing gone from Madie's plate was the broccoli. :)
~Despite all the craziness and extra kids, I've gotten a lot of reading done. In fact, I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Oh so good!
Breakthrough:
~I realized what it was about some friends' houses that really turned me off as a kid: the smell. It's not the smell of poopy diapers or pee-soaked beds. It's the smell of microwaved corn dogs and maple syrup long after breakfast is over.
3 comments:
First of all, good call on the Care Bear issues. My only explanation would be that if Wish Bear had ultimate power, there would be no show. Plus the writers are probably not too concerned about their viewers identifying the flaws in their plot lines.
Second, broccoli = the bomb dot com. Madie has fabulous taste.
Third, your use of imagery in your breakthrough is poignant. This begs the question, were you just able to identify that now or is this something you have always known since you took your first sniff of leftover corn dogs and maple syrup?
Regarding the question of my breakthrough, I'm not entirely certain. I've always disliked the smell of many of my friends' houses when I was younger, but I don't think I knew exactly what it was until a couple days ago when we had french toast for breakfast with syrup; which I grew up eating, I just never noticed it hung in the air for hours until this week. I went back and scrubbed down the table again. Then when the kids had corn dogs for lunch I thought the exact same thing, "gee, it stinks like so-and-so's house."
Okay, so I just realized my last comment didn't make a ton of sense since I am obviously certain I just learned this this week. I feel like a zombie, so I'm excusing myself from the lack of logic.
Post a Comment