Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back to school....back to school...


I have already disclosed this on Facebook to most of you, but for those who haven't heard I got accepted into the School of Public Health at Tulane University. I'll begin coursework for my Masters of Public Health, concentration in Occupational and Environmental Health on May 31st. I am very excited to begin working on this and get it out of the way. Luckily, work has agreed to pay for nearly half of it which is HUGE! That also means that I'll be working full-time and taking at least 6 credits per semester (two courses) every summer, fall, and spring semesters until July 2013. Busy? Indeed. I'm glad Mal is willing to go along with this, because she will most likely be working much harder than me.

One thing that I like about Tulane's distance education program is they literally broadcast their lectures live via internet, and require you to have a camera and mic so that you can participate in classroom discussions and interact as if you were actually there. Amazing, isn't it? Another plus about Tulane is they have a really good reputation in public health because they are the oldest school of public health in the U.S. (see malaria outbreaks in the 1800's). And, out of all the schools of public health in the nation, they are ranked number 13 by U.S. Weekly. Always a plus. I feel very fortunate to be in the program and am ready to work.

3 comments:

Tara Johnson said...

Congrats Mike!!!! Good Luck!!!

andalucy said...

Congratulations! That's great news! Jorge and I did that full-time work + school + baby (or two) thing and it really wasn't that bad. Adelante!

ML said...

Hi-ho, hi-ho! It's off to school you go!