Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Secret Garden

No, I don't keep this magical English garden locked and confined between large stone walls. BUT, I do keep one which is protected by armed guards who drive SUV's, mounted turrets included. Have I caught your attention yet? Well now it might get boring, because it's just a gardening club at work. Yes, everyone goes through security checks at work where your ID is verified by an armed guard...and they do drive the aforementioned vehicles. But this garden is part of the LLNL's Organic Gardening Club, which I just joined a couple of months ago. Each member receives a plot roughly 15'x20', which you can pretty much do what you want with except plant a tree, berry bush, or let rot. Since LLNL is picky about who they will let in and out of the laboratory (clearance reasons), it is a bit of an exclusive garden. I can't even take pictures of it! I have been working on it since the beginning of March. We have already planted beets, carrots, heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, poppies, oregano, zucchini, and corn. Going to plant basil next week. I really wish Mal could join me because it was a lot of work getting it ready, and it would be fun for Madie to get her hands dirty. Mal has been trying to cope with it by doing some planting at home, namely a potted thornless blackberry bush, cilantro, chives, and beans (accidentally).

2 comments:

Tari said...

How do you accidentally plant beans? I think that needs to be explained. But good for you guys in figuring out how to garden even though you're in an apartment!

Unknown said...

Awesome garden! I wish we could have one that big. Sadly, we will be gone a lot during the summer, and I don't think others would appreciate watching our garden for us.