With Mallory gone student teaching every day, being Mr. Mom has been a great experience for me. I feel that I have learned a lot of new things, and have had a fairly relaxing ride. Luckily Madie is so easy to take care of. Here are a couple of things that I have learned:
1) How to make bread! I am starting to make two loaves on a weekly basis, and they turn out really well.
2) Time management. It's hard because there are some things you just can't do while the baby is awake, and you try to get it all done while she is asleep. It hardly leaves time for a nap! Especially when she wakes up for a 5:00 am feeding. But I have learned to do some of those things that I didn't think I could really do while she was awake, which has really helped out.
3) Conservation. I usually only shave for job interviews, and for church on Sunday (although I did have a go tee around Christmas). It's been nice to not have to shave every day. I don't mind keeping the clean-shaven look, but I get really bad razor burn and doing it a couple of times per week has been great! I like to think of it as conserving shaving cream and razors,
4) What it's like to be a homemaker. I never thought I would have the chance to do what I am currently doing. The day actually goes by pretty quickly.
5) Really getting to know Madie. I have always felt really close to Madie, especially since I was with her more often than Mallory during our last semester of school (I only had six credits). Spending entire days with her has allowed me to get to know her better, get her into a healthy routine, and help her develop. It's been great! I probably won't have this opportunity with any of our other kids.
Recent Daily Objectives/Goals:
1) I usually clean things up every day, such as wash dishes, make the bed, vacuum when needed, etc.
2) I have started doing the P90X home workout program, which has been working out really well. I am finally to the point of being able to do entire workouts without cutting it short due to lightheadedness and nausea. I have always been good about working out, but it used to be strictly weight training. P90X encompasses everything from Yoga to Plyometrics.
3) Reading and studying has been something I have been trying to get better at. I have a pile of books I would like to blast through. Also studying for the GRE.
Future Outlook:
I have been applying to jobs like crazy! At least 5+ jobs per day. We are really willing to move anywhere, though we do have our preferences. A well-paying job is a priority right now, though it's not a necessity. I am going to apply to various graduate programs for this coming fall semester, so pretty much whatever happens...happens. I have had two interviews for jobs here in Salt Lake already, and one in Jackson Hole next Monday. I think there will be more in the future. The jobs are out there, despite the economic situation. But it's funny because I have been applying to jobs for restaurants, department stores, even jamba juice! The only call-backs that I have had for all the resumes/applications I have submitted have been for full-time, salaried, and benefit-filled jobs! I mean, I think that's great, but I would like some call-backs from the other jobs as well! I was thinking maybe they are a little scared to hire someone that has a college degree? Any ideas?
5 comments:
Mike, I am so proud of you! Way to take a new experience and run with it.
Go into the places you really want a job. Filling out applications is just isn't enough. You have to have them see you in person. Show persistence those are the ones who get the jobs the ones who show they care and they show dedication. They will have a face with the application.
The picture of you and Madie is precious!
I love the picture, too.
It's neat to hear from a Mr. Mom. I'm glad you have this special time with Madie.
I think you have a great attitude about your job hunting. Being willing to move wherever and do whatever at this point opens a lot of doors. Keep sending out the resumes and good luck with your interviews!
I think a lot of places don't want to hire someone with a college degree if that degree is in anything useful, they want someone who might stick around for a while.
Good luck with the job hunting, you are fortunate that Madie has an easy going personality.
I think also a lot of those places are typical places people are applying to right now, since there have been so many lay-offs. They just fill up so fast.
Post a Comment