Mallory didn't have to go to school today, so we decided to explore Salt Lake a little bit. There are some historical sites that I visited when I was a kid that I really can't remember at all, and some that Mal has never visited before. We decided to check it out!
Our first stop was the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, aka the former Hotel Utah. The interior of the building is just amazing, there are so many ornate features that really make you feel like you are in a royal palace. We saw the chapel where the Apostles attend when they are in town on Sundays, and a few other banquet rooms. This picture above was taken on the 10th floor of the building, overlooking the west end observatory window. Madie was so good today! She didn't freak out at all.
Here is another good one of Mal and Madie. After this we headed to the Beehive House (Brigham Young's home) and saw how they lived. It's interesting to see things when you are older because it's like you are seeing it for the first time, completely different eyes.
After the Beehive House, we headed over to the Church Office Building, and I went on an elevator to the 26th floor to look at the city from the observation decks. The view wasn't great due to the severity of the inversion, but you could still see quite a bit. Mal and Madie decided stay in the lobby and rest a little bit. Our final stop on our tour was the new Church Library/Archives building, next to the Conference Center. It was really impressive, and I wish we had more time to take a tour. The building is only six months old, and is full of everything from residential records to Baptist history books. They also have a tour where they take you to the Joseph Smith Papers that are on display. Maybe next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment