Saturday, January 16, 2010

Creeeeeeeepppppppyyyyyyyyy!

So THIS is probably the creepiest thing you'll see this year, and we just got started!

I mean, it's not that I don't feel a little pang of disappointment when people ask how old my son is, even though it's overwhelmed by a much larger pang of pity for the stupidity of the observer for not being able to recognize the delicate, feminine bone structure and Jersey-cow eyes and lashes--she is clearly a girl! Either way, I would NEVER put one of these creepy baby wigs.

I can be pretty vain. I realize that. I try not to be, but there are certain things I'm vain about. I just figure as long as I don't waste away in front of the mirror and as long as I don't project my vanity onto others (*ahem* like my child!) then I'm okay. I also figure, the baby doesn't care! She's clueless! It's not like an old friend of mine who was tall and very slender and kept her hair cropped very short--she too looked feminine, but in the audience of a darkened theater a performer calling for a participant addressed her as "sir." Yikes! Poor girl. She was old enough to feel embarrassed. Honestly, when people say, "Oh, you are just the cutest little boy!" my girl cracks a big, toothless grin with a string of drool. If you're lucky, she won't spit up all over you.

5 comments:

andalucy said...

I've heard that new parents in Utah put ginormous flowers on their baby girls' heads. You could always try that. ;-)

Mal said...

They do! Here and up in Idaho. Some of the headbands are actually kind of cute, but the flowers on them are so big they make the kids look like they're sprouting! Of course, it's not surprising when you see the size of the women's hair out here. Equally scary. You could hide any number of dangerous substances/weapons/stolen children in there.

Ave said...

Was Sarah Palin from Utah? Just kidding, that picture of the baby with the wig was hilarious. She looked like one of those troll dolls. People were always calling Max a pretty little girl, and Lottie a cute little boy. I rarely corrected them.

Ave said...

oh yeah, another Utah baby trend is taking pictures of your newborn in a scratchy tutu, and the baby has to be naked. I have seen these pictures with and without the gigantic gerber daisy.

Karen said...

That is really creeeeeppppyyyy - you're right. If you ever change your mind, Madie's Uncle Tyler has a few wigs he could loan out. JK!! Madie is cute just the way she is - don't change a thing. If people can't tell the difference between a boy and girl, that's their issue.