I was reading in 3 Nephi 27 today and verse four really stuck out to me for just a moment. The Lord asks the disciples what they would ask of him and they wonder what they should call the church because there have been some disputes about it. Verse four says,
"And the Lord said unto them: Verily, verily, I say unto you, why is it that the people should murmur and dispute because of this thing?"
He then goes on to explain that the name should be His own because it is written in prior scripture that all things we do should be done in the name of Jesus Christ.
Not that verse four is particularly profound and although it's speaking of a specific example, when I read it this morning it struck me how it should be remembered in our own day. Often I see around the world--and in my own daily life, unfortunately--disputes over things that either have a simple and obvious answer or that are so pitifully unimportant it's childish to bring them up.
For example, there is apparently a long-running dispute among many people in California about whether or not ferrets should be legalized as pets in this state.
Really? At a time when people are losing jobs and homes, major gas pipes are exploding and burning down whole neighborhoods, and there is serious and sometimes violent social tension, some people want to spend money (which doesn't exist in this state either) to campaign for a smelly, rat-faced animal that would probably not wish to be someone's pet anyway? That baffles me.
Anyway, it made me realize that I should be way more relaxed about more things. Most of what I get worked up about probably is only a fraction of the importance I bestow upon it. Any thoughts, or am I alone here?
4 comments:
HAHA! Woman, I LOVE you! I'm totally with you!! Today I will try not to get all worked up over anything trivial.
Hey, I said TRY. :)
I think you have made a very good point. It is true that most of get worked up about things that really aren't important and won't matter 50 years from now - even 1 year from now! Thanks for the reminder.
Awesome
Maybe this is wrong of me but that strikes me as so typically Californian. I know, I've never lived there so I probably shouldn't judge.
That's a good verse to remember for me and my children, too!
Post a Comment