Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wicked Good

Forgive the cheesy pun. I just had to.

On Friday night Mike and I dropped Madie-Fi off at some friends and went into San Francisco to watch Wicked--the musical version of Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. It was soooooooooooooooo good. And it's only showing in four cities in the world right now: New York (of course), London, Sydney, and San Francisco. The woman who played Elphaba (aka WWoftheW) had played her on Broadway at some point too, and she was phenomenal! The woman who played Galinda (aka Glinda) was also excellent! She was so funny--and again I am drawn: who would I wish to play more? I've always had the same dilemma with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. If given the chance, would I pick sarcastic, smart-mouth Dorothy, or over-the-top glamorous and hilariously ditzy Lorelei Lee? Oh, choices, choices.

We weren't allowed to take pictures in the stage-room of the theater. We had front-row balcony seats, which proved to have a great view of the stage for a good price!

I had to steal the camera from the paparazzi to get this picture from him.

It was an incredible show. We are so glad we went! Elphaba's voice was amazing! Mike even confessed that all the hair on his body (since he doesn't have any on his neck or head) stood on end when she sang "Defying Gravity."

Needless to say, we bought the cd.

10 comments:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

I am SOO jealous!! I have been wanting to see this play forever! Glad that you guys had a good time.

Karen said...

I knew you'd love it - I'm so glad you were able to go. I'd love to see it again and again......

Unknown said...

Definitely one of the best musicals ever. Rheanna and I can't wait to see it again. Glad you enjoyed it!

MJ said...

And I'm wicked jealous!!!

Jessica :) said...

You know, it is purely because of things like this that I wish I lived closer to a "big" city. I'm sure it was amazing and I'm glad you were able to go!

Mal said...

Actually Jessica, I bet you'd love Livermore, CA. It's got a very small-town feel, I keep forgetting there are as many people here as there are. And it's only 45 minutes or an hour away from San Fran.

Ave said...

Who watched the baby? lucky dogs. I like Mikes goat. Very manly.

andalucy said...

That's a great show. I loved the sly humor. I'm glad you got to see it. You do look like a movie star in that paparazzi pic!

Unknown said...

I love Wicked!! ! I would love to see a broadway musical with my husby! Good for you- that is definitely one of the perks of living in a bigger city.

Tari said...

I'm glad Mike still has some hair left ;) And I'm jealous. I've never actually been to a real musical/broadway show, but have wanted to. Adam says they're awesome, but we'll see if we make it to one someday!