Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Drowning with Style

I have always wanted to be a better swimmer since I think it's the one sport I'm actually ideally built for, but have never really put much effort into it because my hair has always fallen in my face even when I pull it back. Wet hair in the face makes breathing even harder than it already is in swimming. But then, Mike bought me a swim cap. (Dang! He cut out my #1 excuse!) So I got pregnant. Oops! Can't fit a swimsuit now, buck-oh! Well, now she's out, and there goes plan B.

Really though, my get-back-in-shape plan after having Madie was to start swimming in the mornings. And today, only 1 1/2 months later, I FINALLY went.

And I almost died.

I did four laps--if that's what you can call the middle two where I stopped half way through and thought to myself "What on this blessed earth made me think I was actually BUILT for this?! Obviously if I was, I'd have fins and a blow hole on the back of my neck!" But I kept going ... kind of. So the goals for the end of this month are:

1) swim two mornings a week
2) swim four laps in a row without letting my heart give out entirely

Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Meagan said...

Try using a kick board for a few of your laps! ... its still a good work out, but it makes the breathing part easier!

Tari said...

You are better than I was after I had Nathan. Apart from my whole thyroid issue, I could ALWAYS find an excuse to not exercise!

ML said...

You can do it Mal--you'll be amazed at how quickly your body (and your breathing) will improve! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Well Tari, you are welcome to join me! ;)

Ave said...

Go Mallie, Go Mallie.

Tiffany said...

You can do it!! Keep up the great work!!

Unknown said...

Good luck! Have you tried the side stroke? It's probably the most relaxing and uses the least energy. :-)

Unknown said...

this reminds me of that time i was in high school, doing swimming for pe through byu cont. ed. i was with a friend who was on the our high school swim team. her comment on my butterlfy (i had quit swim lessons before really learning how)... "you look like a drowning dog" thanks.

Dawn said...

mallory.
i totally swam in HS and took a class a couple of semesters ago.
i'll go with you if you want someone to go with you
that and i need to exercise.
i'm probably wayyyyy out of shape now anyways.

Unknown said...

You should come to the swim clinics on Fridays. They run from 12:45-4:00. You can go anytime and stay for 45 minutes. They show you a ton of ways to exercise in the water! I go about every other week. You should come!