Sunday, February 8, 2009

Freshmen Say the Darndest Things


The following are actual lines from an English 101 class I TA for. I have all the papers I'm taking these from right here with me, except one, but believe me, I remember exactly what it says. The prompt isn't always important, but I'm including it anyway for the ones that do. I'm also including my comments and, in rare cases, the comments I wish I could've written. I have made NO variations to what they've written in these quotes.

Prompt: What do you think the difference is between an educated person and an uneducated person?

"For all intensive purposes..."
I believe it's, "for all intents and purposes"

Prompt: What is your favorite book and why?

Sheila B. Favorite book: Bloody Jack, by L. A. Meyer
"You can always tell if a book was well written because it will be turned into a movie."
"Always" and "will" are absolutes. I advise you not to use these.

"I bet if every story had a character this loveable, there would be better books around so you wouldn't have to resort to classics for good reading."
I don't think people really "resort" to classics. I think they just like them. Also, there are some great contemporary novels. I bet you'd love them.

Cherie L. Favorite book: Twilight series, by Stephanie Meyer
"The love in this love story feels so real, the feelings that the characters feel instantly grows onto the reader."
LOTS OF FEELING GOING ON HERE.

Jennifer G. Favorite book: Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer
"This is a type of fairytale that isn't for 5 year olds, but it is a kind of fairytale that's only found in the super natural world."
How do these two clauses relate at all?

Jake R. Favorite book: Sahara, by Clive Cussler
"Then in the present day Dirk and Al are trapped between some terroriests and an evil corporate Executive are polluting the Nile, which is spreading towards the ocean."
What exactly is going on? And who exactly is involved?

Rebecca K. Favorite book: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Anne Brashare
"Turns out her father was preparing to be remarried to beautiful blonde woman and her two children."
(Aside from the grammatical corrections): He's going to marry her two kids?

Kayla B. Favorite book: The Chamber, by John Grisham
"...it makes since that this fear will be different for each individual..."

AND THE WINNER IS...
Jon W. Favorite book: Twilight series, by Stephanie Meyer
His closing sentence is: "A book that will leave you crying at the end to finding out that you are not actually Bella."
So, you didn't want to be like the main MALE character of the book? You want to be like Bella? (This one left me in utter perplexity, but I refrained from making any actual comments.)

5 comments:

ML said...

Funny. Maybe you should put "male" or "female" instead of the names just in case one of them runs across your blog and decides to hire a hitman...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I didn't post their last names. Sheesh, what da ya want from me?!

Besides, if they did die, it would save them all from a lifetime of doltish misery.

And the word verification right now is malli

Michael said...

I was actually sitting next to her while she was going through these papers. When that guy wrote about Twilight, I specifically requested that Malie read it out loud because I wanted to hear what he had to say. May I just say, I was blown away! Especially with that comment about how he wanted to be Bella...that just about did it for me. I was laughing SO hard.

Anonymous said...

I was further blown away when he professed to have a girlfriend. Hahahaha!