Monday, February 16, 2009

Think Twice!

I am taking an Environmental Health class this semester, and it has been very interesting. There was this concept that we reviewed called "Defect Action Levels". I don't know if anyone has heard of this concept before, but it goes a little like this. It is absolutely impossible to keep food preparation areas 100% sanitized, I think we can all understand that. Due to that concept, the FDA has come out with these Defect Action Levels to permit minor exposures to rodent hair, insects, fly eggs, larvae, etc. Here are some levels that I'm studying for my next exam:

Peanut Butter - 30 insect fragments per 100 grams, or 1 rodent hair per 100 grams
Tomatoes - 10 fly eggs per 100 grams
Broccoli - 60 aphids or mites per 100 grams
Corn - 2 larvae skins per 24 lbs
Apple Butter - 5 insects per 100 grams
Berries - 4 larvae or 10 whole insects per 500 grams
Ground Paprika - 75 insect fragments per 25 grams
Chocolate - 80 insects fragments per 100 grams
Canned Sweet Corn - 2 3 mm-length larvae, cast skins or fragments
Tomato Paste - 2 maggots or 30 eggs per 100 grams
Wheat Flour - 75 insect fragments per 50 grams

Hope you enjoyed a little piece of my study material!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Okay, so I never want to eat anything again. Ughhh! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It's like Dad told me when I was a little girl and a little fly landed in my orange juice: "C'mon, Malie, a little added protein never hurt anyone." I didn't drink it, but he did.

Ave said...

I eat 7 of those foods on a pretty regular basis, no wonder I am such a strapping lass, or as they would say in Maine "wicked rugged."

BJ said...

I have a co worker who grew up on a blueberry farm in Michigan. He refuses to eat blueberries to this day because he knows what ends up in the final mixture!!

bob said...

mmmm, all this talk of food is making me hungry!

Unknown said...

Yum!

Anony said...

Ew. Thank goodness I'm past the morning sickness stage! ;)