"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with." - Mark Twain
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Forum Day
At BYU-Idaho, each department gets to invite a guest speaker once per year to enlighten us on something pertenant to the college department. For example, in the past we have had Michael Medved (Jewish Conservative talk radio), Nolan Archibald (CEO Black and Decker), and many more. These are some really big names! So February happened to be the Health Science Department's turn to put on a Forum. We invited Lt. Colonel Winterton from the US Air Force, who is an epidemiologist. Last week, my advisor asked me if I would give a seven minute speech at the Forum Breakfast. I agreed to do it, I thought it would be a pretty cool experience. Then the thought hit me of who was going to be at the breakfast...Vice-President Eyring (President Eyring's son), Colonel Winterton, the Dean of my college, my Professors, and four other guests (all of which are either Presidents or Directors of their respective companies). I think when I made that realization, my stomach had inverted itself! It was quite an intimidating thought to give a speech in front of these people. But, after Mal heard me practice reciting the speech over and over last night, I was feeling pretty comfortable. I gave the speech this morning and felt really good about it. After that, another student spoke, and then Vice-President Eyring addressed us. He looks and talks just like his father, the resemblance is quite astonishing. After that I conducted a Forum Panel by introducing the four guests, and facilitating the Q&A session with them. It was quite a day! Definately not what I was used to. Later that afternoon, we had the actual Forum. Lt. Colonel Winterton speak. He did such a good job, it was very interesting. There was a story he told of when he was in Afghanistan to immunize children five years and under. Some of the villagers were getting very suspicious of the Americans because they thought these immunizations were "sterilizing" their children. There were a lot of upset people, as you could imagine. As the crowds continued to grow restless, Colonel Winterton marched in the middle of the crowd, grabbed a canister full of immunization, and chugged the whole thing. I don't think anything else needed to be said. The crowd dispersed, and all was calm. Immunizations continued. Don't we all wish we could do something heroic like that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is well known that the best and the brightest are often given these opportunities! Congratulations on a great day. That was a wonderful story about the immunizations, too. Thanks for sharing.
I bet you did a great job on your speech. What a great experience!
Post a Comment