Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Conservatives, take a breath... it's really not the end of the world

I was not able to watch the inauguration this morning seeing as I was in class. However, I have been reading posts on it and an interesting article in our school newspaper. Get this: there's a kid here on campus that, after the outcome of Nov. 4th reached his ears, he logged onto Facebook and deleted friends who had status' supporting Barack Obama, and said in an interview with the paper that he "does not regret it." Please. If your friendships are based on things as constantly shifting as politics, your "friends" are probably relieved you deleted them!

It is important to remember that it is not the president who makes laws. The president really only has as much power as we give him. It is Congress we have to keep and eye on and appeal to. It is Congress that drafts, redrafts, and votes on our laws. Of course, we focus on the president because it's much easier (and usually more interesting) to adore/blame/generally obsess over one polititian than it is a whole flock of them.

Try also to remember that we have not, as a country, sold our soul to the devil, nor have we set ourselves up to become the Great Abomination. A country based on democracy is only as good as it's people. Although I did not vote for Obama, I think he will make as good a president as any other candidate, if not better. It's past the time of campaigning for our favorites. Now is the time to come together to support our country and try not to let the man leading it get killed.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your first paragraph made me laugh. I've found you definitely have to look beyond politics with certain people, fortunately my close friends think like me though.

ML said...

I got up at 2:30 this morning to watch the inauguration--an historic occasion if ever there was one! (Ezra joined me--I was impressed.) If he's half as good as he sounds, he's going to be great!
I agree with you--time to stop grousing and start remembering to pray for WHOEVER is in that office!

Unknown said...

Great post, Mal!

andalucy said...

Great post! The time has definitely passed for sour grapes.

MJ said...

THANK YOU!!!! It's tiring listening to people rag on the president, no matter who it is.

Ave said...

I must say, those Obma-mer gals sure clean up pertty.

Anony said...

So you're saying that you're an Obama fan right? I should just delete you from my list of blog friends... ;) just kidding. Amen to your post though.