One of our favorite family activities is going for walks. When we were expecting Finn we went on a walk pretty close to every evening after supper. On the weekends we would go once after breakfast and again after supper. We loved it! We've kept up going on walks on the weekends, usually after breakfast. If we have time we'll go down to the brook and let Madie throw rocks or run around in the water. Yesterday she decided to strip down and go almost-skinny dipping.
![]() |
| Ahhh to be a two-year old! What I wouldn't give to be socially able to run around in just my panties in broad daylight next to a dog park! |
| I love the shades. And the tan line. She's got a distinct swim-suit shadow. |
| Looking for rocks to throw. |
| Dad found a boat! They went up stream a bit and let it go to watch it hit the little waterfall and pick up speed. |
| The evidence on shore. |
This is one of Madie's "wedding dresses." (The other is white with little pink hearts all over it.) She's really been noticing my wedding pictures lately--we've got two in the living room and a picture of the temple we were married in. My wedding dress, for those who may not know, is a little girl's dream wedding dress: big, puffy skirt that swishes when you walk and a sparkly bodice. And the Boston temple, of course, looks very much like a palace. You can see one of my absolute favorite pictures of it right here. So you can imagine the kind of fascination a wedding holds for a girl like Madie.
Add to this fascination the fact that she's turning three and we have some awesome conversations on the topic. Here was one of our first:
Me: Yes, when you get big you can wear my wedding dress and be married in a temple too.
Madie: Will you marry me?
Me: Oh, I'm sorry honey but I can't.
Madie: Why not?
Me: Because I'm married to Dada and I want to stay married to Dada.
Madie: But who will marry me?
Me: I don't know. I guess a very nice, handsome man will.
Madie: But who will marry me?
Me: Well, who do you want to marry?
Madie: Maybe Ezra will marry me?
Me: Ezra? Talia's Ezra? (Not to be confused with Uncle Ezra, Talia's Ezra is one of Madie's 2-year old friends.)
Madie: Yeah. Talia's Ezra.
Me: Well, maybe. I'll mention it to his mom and we can see what can be arranged.
And then yesterday we had this little discussion while I was putting her shoes on for our walk.
Madie: This is my wedding dress.
Me: Oh yeah? It's beautiful. *Grampy's wolf whistle*
Madie: Will you marry me?
Me: No, sorry. Remember? I'm married to Dada.
Madie: (calling out) Dad? Will you marry me?
Mike: (all grins--a dada's dream come true) Oh, sorry. I can't. (Bends down and gives her a big kiss.)
It's official folks: we have entered that stage.

1 comment:
She is the sweetest little Madie-the-Pooh ever! And I love seeing how fast Finn is growing--can't wait to rock-a-bye him again...
Post a Comment