Right now I have a headache who's splitting-effects could compete with the San Andreas Fault. (You can add that to the list of "You know you're from California when...") and I really should be going to bed to take care of said headache. Not that it's wicked late, but I can hardly see straight...I blame it on the three-hour meeting I had. I know what you're thinking: Yikes.
But I feel like I want to write. I know, I know...how could I write if I can't even think straight. But it's true. I just feel it sometimes--I'm sure you all know what I mean. Not necessarily with writing, but with something.
Do any of you have a certain night of each week where it is noticeably more difficult to fall asleep at night? (Yep, we're taking a totally different turn here.) Mine is Wednesday. I used to think it was because I often went to play basketball on Wednesday night, and when I got home it would take an hour or so for the adrenaline to wear off enough for me to pass out. Now I'm not so sure, though I doubt the ball-playing helps. (Not that I'm willing to give it up entirely.)
I stopped playing ball every week because I've got some equipment issues right now. Yet, I find myself still lying awake long after Mike has returned from playing and has fallen peacefully to sleep. Not every week, but more often than the rest of the nights in a week, that's for sure. I seem to have more ideas on Wednesday nights. They just roll around in my head and bounce off each other until I've written them down. If I don't write them down, two things will happen: (1) I will be up even later, and (2) I will kick myself later when I'm trying to think of the "really cool idea" I had. So I jot them down on a pad of paper in the kitchen, then climb back in bed. This will happen two or three times before I'm actually asleep. Then in the morning, or a day or two later, I will go through them and see if anything still sounds interesting. Then, theoretically, I'll write one of them. (At the very least I'll start it.)
I don't know what it is about Wednesday. It just gets the juices flowing. If I didn't have day-time responsibilities I would probably stay up all Wednesday night typing up ideas and outlines and intros. Which means, I guess, it's a good thing I do have responsibilities--otherwise I'd be sleep-deprived and my ideas would probably not be as good.
Huh...look at that. My headache's gone.
But I feel like I want to write. I know, I know...how could I write if I can't even think straight. But it's true. I just feel it sometimes--I'm sure you all know what I mean. Not necessarily with writing, but with something.
Do any of you have a certain night of each week where it is noticeably more difficult to fall asleep at night? (Yep, we're taking a totally different turn here.) Mine is Wednesday. I used to think it was because I often went to play basketball on Wednesday night, and when I got home it would take an hour or so for the adrenaline to wear off enough for me to pass out. Now I'm not so sure, though I doubt the ball-playing helps. (Not that I'm willing to give it up entirely.)
I stopped playing ball every week because I've got some equipment issues right now. Yet, I find myself still lying awake long after Mike has returned from playing and has fallen peacefully to sleep. Not every week, but more often than the rest of the nights in a week, that's for sure. I seem to have more ideas on Wednesday nights. They just roll around in my head and bounce off each other until I've written them down. If I don't write them down, two things will happen: (1) I will be up even later, and (2) I will kick myself later when I'm trying to think of the "really cool idea" I had. So I jot them down on a pad of paper in the kitchen, then climb back in bed. This will happen two or three times before I'm actually asleep. Then in the morning, or a day or two later, I will go through them and see if anything still sounds interesting. Then, theoretically, I'll write one of them. (At the very least I'll start it.)
I don't know what it is about Wednesday. It just gets the juices flowing. If I didn't have day-time responsibilities I would probably stay up all Wednesday night typing up ideas and outlines and intros. Which means, I guess, it's a good thing I do have responsibilities--otherwise I'd be sleep-deprived and my ideas would probably not be as good.
Huh...look at that. My headache's gone.
2 comments:
I love that Wednesday is your day that you have to stay up late! That makes me smile. Also, it sounds as though you are writing a book, missy! I would ask you what it is about, but I imagine you might want that to be a surprise, but I'm excited!
I don't know if I'm working on a book right now or not. These ideas aren't necessarily all related. But they're usually the beginning of a story--short or long.
Post a Comment