I just read this post on thenodramamomma.org (never read it, but this was a great post!) and it really brought to my attention how acceptable it has become to complain about our children. I've often thought about how much I complain about Madie, but I've (of late) worried that maybe people take me a little serious. I complain about her mostly as a joke. The things she does is so over-the-top dramatic that it's funny! And if I exaggerate just a liiiiiiittle bit about my reactions it's even funnier. I like laughing. I like making people laugh. Madie gives me lots of fodder. The Meanest Mom knows how I feel (even if there are lots of people who don't really get how she feels).
But I've tried reigning it in a little bit. Madie really is a great kid, and we REALLY lucked out having such an easy one for our first. She's strong-headed and throws Olympic tantrums, but she's always slept well, she's usually cheerful, she isn't a picky eater, and lately she's been giving me a whole array of good-morning kisses--and I have the bruised cheeks to prove it! A little comic venting sometimes is one thing, but since when did it become not only shamefacedly funny, but expected and acceptable to talk about our kids this way?
I love No Drama Momma's list, especially number one, and in that spirit I want to add five more things to her list of why being a parent doesn't suck.
1. The unconditional love. It's a two-way street. I would do anything for Madie no matter what she did to me, and she loves me no matter what I do to her. I remember as a ten-year old, I used to love frightening my baby sister so I could watch her big lip curl under and her eyes grow huge--the effect was so cute! And the best part was I would hold out my arms and she would come to me--her tormentor--for comfort. She would immediately forgive me and not for one moment did she stop loving me. That's how children are. It's beautiful.
2. Parental inspiration. That's all I can think of to call it. Since having a baby, I have had lightening strike after lightening strike go through my brain telling me how to handle a situation, how to teach her something, how to entertain her. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I had an "AHA!" moment as to how to potty train her. It's incredible! If you're open to the guidance of God, you will definitely receive it!
3. The Stories. Good, bad, cute, messy. They're all funny. Seriously. It's hard not to break into laughter with a two-year old standing on your husband's belly, holding her finger to her lips and saying, "Shhhhhh, shhhhhh" as though she's trying to soothe him, and then leaping into the air and body-slamming him with her diapered bum. Oh my gosh. I laugh every time!
4. You learn to relish the peace and quiet. I've always been able to relish the peace and quiet--that's what you get from living with 9 other people most of your life. But as an adult, living in an apartment where most of my roommates were either studying or gone half the day, sometimes I'd just sit there bored out of my mind. It wasn't usually too bad, but it did get to me once in a while. Well, not anymore, my friends! Not anymore! As much as I love spending time with Madie, I can't tell you how much I can appreciate the quiet moments of the day, whether she's contentedly playing ALONE in her room, or napping, those are precious, precious minutes.
5. The names. I love names. Maybe I'm the only one, but I get the feeling that I'm not. I know there are closet name fanatics out there. People who spend hours on end looking through lists and lists of names on all sorts of websites, finding their meanings on other websites, and then creating their own lists of names on still more websites. No? Just me? Alright. Really though, I love the sound of my daughter's name, Madeleine. I love the way it looks when it's spelled out. I love her middle name, Fiona. I love their denotations, I love their connotations, I love her initials. and I can't wait to look around for another one whenever the time comes!
So, what do you love about parenting? Please share, no matter the age of you offspring!
But I've tried reigning it in a little bit. Madie really is a great kid, and we REALLY lucked out having such an easy one for our first. She's strong-headed and throws Olympic tantrums, but she's always slept well, she's usually cheerful, she isn't a picky eater, and lately she's been giving me a whole array of good-morning kisses--and I have the bruised cheeks to prove it! A little comic venting sometimes is one thing, but since when did it become not only shamefacedly funny, but expected and acceptable to talk about our kids this way?
I love No Drama Momma's list, especially number one, and in that spirit I want to add five more things to her list of why being a parent doesn't suck.
1. The unconditional love. It's a two-way street. I would do anything for Madie no matter what she did to me, and she loves me no matter what I do to her. I remember as a ten-year old, I used to love frightening my baby sister so I could watch her big lip curl under and her eyes grow huge--the effect was so cute! And the best part was I would hold out my arms and she would come to me--her tormentor--for comfort. She would immediately forgive me and not for one moment did she stop loving me. That's how children are. It's beautiful.
2. Parental inspiration. That's all I can think of to call it. Since having a baby, I have had lightening strike after lightening strike go through my brain telling me how to handle a situation, how to teach her something, how to entertain her. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I had an "AHA!" moment as to how to potty train her. It's incredible! If you're open to the guidance of God, you will definitely receive it!
3. The Stories. Good, bad, cute, messy. They're all funny. Seriously. It's hard not to break into laughter with a two-year old standing on your husband's belly, holding her finger to her lips and saying, "Shhhhhh, shhhhhh" as though she's trying to soothe him, and then leaping into the air and body-slamming him with her diapered bum. Oh my gosh. I laugh every time!
4. You learn to relish the peace and quiet. I've always been able to relish the peace and quiet--that's what you get from living with 9 other people most of your life. But as an adult, living in an apartment where most of my roommates were either studying or gone half the day, sometimes I'd just sit there bored out of my mind. It wasn't usually too bad, but it did get to me once in a while. Well, not anymore, my friends! Not anymore! As much as I love spending time with Madie, I can't tell you how much I can appreciate the quiet moments of the day, whether she's contentedly playing ALONE in her room, or napping, those are precious, precious minutes.
5. The names. I love names. Maybe I'm the only one, but I get the feeling that I'm not. I know there are closet name fanatics out there. People who spend hours on end looking through lists and lists of names on all sorts of websites, finding their meanings on other websites, and then creating their own lists of names on still more websites. No? Just me? Alright. Really though, I love the sound of my daughter's name, Madeleine. I love the way it looks when it's spelled out. I love her middle name, Fiona. I love their denotations, I love their connotations, I love her initials. and I can't wait to look around for another one whenever the time comes!
So, what do you love about parenting? Please share, no matter the age of you offspring!
7 comments:
the age of my offspring may be about negative ten years or so, but i too am a name fanatic! in fact, i've often considered becoming a high-priced name consultant to the rich and famous. some day, maybe some day.
I love the moments of breathless excitement: "C'mon Kaitie-lyn--roll over! Hey come here you guys, she almost did it!!!"
Another reason parenting is great is that you get to watch that super-cool guy you married become somebody's daddy--I love it!
Another thing about parenting is that people usually get the opportunity to watch their kids be parents! And that is the fun part, along with being a grandPARENT. You guys are doing a mighty fine job. Keep up the great work with that sweet little Madie.
I loved this article and I was glad you shared it on Facebook. I also like your list. It's so true that there are some awesome reasons for parenthood. One of the things I love about being a parent is seeing things through my girl's eyes. I think I complicate life too often. It's easy to complicate, for sure, but children see things so black and white, so simplistically, so beautifully - Livie reminds me constantly to stop making big deals out of things that just aren't and to enjoy life. I love that.
So true. That is interesting; I have been thinking about the impression I give people of KJ too. Seriously, he is a great kid, but sometimes all I talk about is when he throws things in the toilet, haha.
Ummm...on #5, you are not alone. I am a name collector. And have been practically my whole life.
I love your list, Mal. You're a wonderful mom!
Post a Comment