Sunday, September 11, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Part 2: Danish Serengeti

Sunday we found a ward in Morro Bay to attend Sacrament Meeting. Afterward, we made a last-second decision and decided to drive two hours down to the Danish town Solvang. I had been here once before with my family when I was 9 or 10. We came for New Years and stayed at a hotel in town. I remember my brother Ty playing his bongos in the park and people gathering around him to listen, and threw him a few coins. That's about it. We figured we are this close to Solvang, we mine as well go! Who knows if or when we will ever come down this way again?

Madie had so much fun playing with Nana and Papa in the car, that she forgot to take her nap. She almost immediately fell asleep in the stroller when we toured the town.

Had she been awake, we could have tried on this dress. If it was less than $42, we might have considered it.

Lots of the original Danish families still live in the area.

Mal & Mom loved checking out the little stores.



We had to get some ice cream & stroop waffels.

I've decided I want to build a Danish home.

Madie was getting antsy from all the driving, so we stopped at the beach to let her run around a little bit before we went back to our campsite for dinner. Anybody looking for a toddler model?

And she of course went to her rock-throwing creek.

Food always tastes better when you are camping.

"Oh, this is fun."
"Hey, why are you guys on the other side of the fence?"

"Ya know, I don't know if I like this anymore..."

"Stop it! Stop the ride!"

Wild Californian Zebra.

W.R. Hearst literally brought over Zebras, and Giraffes (just to name a few) to graze his property. They were used to attract celebrities to stay at the Hearst Castle to get some stories out of them for his newspaper publishing (like Rupert Murdoch, without the phone tapping). Most of the animals were sold off to local zoos after Hearst died. Some stayed. Hence, the California Zebra.

Before we headed back to the Bay Area, we drove up the coast to check out an elephant seal reserve that we saw when we drove in.


These guys were all over the place! Some males were sparring, most were just laying out in the sun.

Thanks for coming to California Nana & Papa.

2 comments:

Mal said...

Well, I wouldn't say all food tastes better when you're camping. I think we've had some pretty bad tin-foil dinners. All in all though, I agree.

Familia CedeƱo said...

I love the picture when she's on the ride crying and you put the caption "Stop the ride." HA HA You are hilarious. You made me laugh today, thanks. :)