Monday, October 11, 2010

I Like--Lamp.

So I'm up boiling water in the big pot to put in Madie's room. She's got a nice little cold, and even I'm feeling a little dry. After hearing her cough and cough I finally got up and set to work. Poor tyke.

Anyway, in the mean time, I'll show you my little project! I've been getting pretty cunning lately, I'll tell ya! I even made my own napkins not long ago! (Although I think I've thoroughly convinced myself I will NEVER own a surger. Holy cow! Murphey must have been watching his wife use one when he developed his law!)

But I'm going a little too far back. I am not showing you my napkins. They're nice, but I have no pictures and that's just not what this post is about. This post is about a lamp. A working lamp, and that's about all the good I have to say about it.

You can't see this in the photo, but the shade is pretty badly stained. (I'm hoping it was in a room with a leaky ceiling, 'cause it was DEFINITELY stained by a liquid.) Neither of the bedrooms have light fixtures and since we're staying here longer than we thought, we figured we should invest in some light for the darker months of the year. We found this one at a yard sale for three bucks or something like that. The lady told us the "nice thing about white lamps is you can just take a little bleach and tidy them right up!" Look lady, we already said we'd buy it. You don't have to draw MORE attention to the stains than we already drew ourselves.

I thought: how hard can it be to cover a lamp shade? So I went out and bought adorable Winnie the Pooh fabric at Walmart for a price that made me think maybe it wasn't officially patented by Disney. (But then again, Walmart does get some pretty nice deals in.) I also bought some fabric glue.

It's a good thing I bought a little more fabric than I originally asked for, because it turns out trying to cover a lampshade when you have absolutely no idea what you're doing is actually a little harder than it sounds. Finally I looked up directions online, and really it's not that hard at all, like I originally thought. (When I know something, I'm always right about it.) So I turned the above lamp into the bellow lamp. Enjoy.

Isn't it darling?!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

impressive!! I LOVE it!

Ben and Kristen Call said...

I like it! A LOT!

Patty Cady said...

Seriously cute!

Jessica :) said...

Very cute! I really love how it turned out. So much more character than that plain white thing. Fabulous idea!

Ave said...

Good job Mallie. I didn't know that you were crafty AND clever.

Karen said...

That is so cute! Great job, Mal!

MJ said...

LOVE it!!!!