I agree with Ave that we as a nation do a poor job of giving enough respect to whoever holds the position of president. I disagree with politics regularly--that's bound to happen. I've heard some pretty ridiculous ideas coming from the person in charge for years, and nothing is new now. I've also heard some good ones for years, even from people I didn't particularly like. But to paint the leader of our country as some kind of ignoramus or outright wicked being is a horrible thing to do. It is a position I doubt a quarter of the people in this country would be capable of, and so we are left with those who are at least willing to do it. That willingness to take on such an enormous task deserves our respect.
3 comments:
Do you think this blatent disrespect started with Clinton and the whole Monica's blue dress thing? I saw a horrid bumper sticker a year ago that read "Some Village in Texas is Missing an Idiot." I think I stared open mouthed for a second at that one. I really feel that it is cultural, and that we will never get that respect for office back.
I think it probably started before Clinton. Maybe not to the degree it is at today, but you know these things tend to be gradual at first. It's a shame since it shows more of a lacking on the part of our citizens than anything else. I'm not saying we should be blind to the evils of our government. We should always take active concern in the improvement of our nation. But standing around saying, "Clinton is a man-whore" or "Bush is an imbecile" or "Obama is the devil" just makes us complainers and accomplishes nothing. There's a fantastic talk on eternal optimists, unquenchable pessimists, and improvers (aka: people who actually get things done). I think you'd really enjoy it. What's your email and I'll send it your way.
I think it really started with Clinton due to the internet and TV boom, then was magnified 100 times when Bush was President because all those media platforms became more readily available. Communication lines are spewing out so many things these days, I really have no idea what I can and cannot believe. The media is the one who chews up Presidents.
Post a Comment