Yesterday my kid sister, Kaitlyn, passed away due to complications from her cancer treatment. Although there is plenty to be said about the horrors of cancer and chemo respectively, I don't really feel any bitterness toward either one, and I'm not keen on spending any time thinking about them.
![]() |
| Aunt Kaitlyn with our daughter Madie in 2011. |
The past few days--and yesterday in particular--haven't been a roller coaster of emotions so much as the converging floodwaters of several large rivers. I felt intense sorrow watching my little sister slowing turn darker and darker as the life passed from her. I also simultaneously felt intense happiness while two of my brothers and my mum and I stood around her and laughed at her outrageous outfits as a toddler; or the time Levi blow-dried her hair so it would stand straight up--she looked like a really round-faced Einstein; or the time Dad painted the floor of our dining room a hideous shade of pink per Mum's request and right as he was finishing little Kitty ran onto the wet paint. He turned and and yelled, "No! Oh, Kaitlyn! It's wet!" So she ran down the dark-wood hallway, giggling and leaving little pink footprints. Dad refused to get rid of them until we moved from the house.
![]() |
| Kaitlyn with two close friends, Ashley (L.) and Lakell (R.) |
![]() |
| Kaitlyn with Madie at Yosemite National Park. |
| Kaitlyn, Eden, our cousin Moses, and Christina Carulla at Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon the summer of 2013. |
That fall Kaitlyn started going to LDS Business College. At an opening activity in their ward she met Connor Bridge who quickly became a good "friend."
Obviously he was in the Friend Zone for a very short amount of time.
They were scheduled to get married on April 25th, but on March 25th, she was diagnosed with a relapsed. They got married in the Salt Lake Temple on March 27th, and Kaitlyn was admitted to the hospital on March 28th.
I came on April 8th, wedding gift in hand. She loved opening the few gifts they got--so many generous people donated money to her treatment fund.
![]() |
| This is the last picture I ever took of my sister. |
I will miss my sister every day. I'm grateful that, although the price turned out to be extravagant, I have a new brother that I hope to spend many years getting to know.
I love you.

"a moment universal and idiosyncratic, momentous and inconsequential." (Monuments Men)










9 comments:
My sincerest and heartfelt wishes to you and yours. May you find peace in this time of sorrow. Amy and I will be praying for you all.
I can't imagine how you must be feeling. You will be in my prayers. <3
Beautiful Mal. Thank you for posting this.
I didn't get a chance to meet Kait, but I know you, and how you always talked about her made me love her, too. I love you guys.
Such a beautiful tribute to your sister Mal. Love and prayers to you and your family.
Thank you for sharing this with us. We told the kids and we are all keeping a prayer in our hearts for you and your family. We are shedding many tears with you my friend.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Mallory. We're keeping you all in our thoughts & prayers.
I met Kaitlyn when she came to our door with other young women as part of a mutual activity scavenger hunt when she was visiting Livermore.
Thanks for sharing her story, along with your thoughts and feelings. Very touching. Thinking of you guys...
Unfortunately, I didn't know Kait well enough to have a first-person memory to share of her, but I hope that I will always remember the beautiful story of her and Connor's love for each other -- truly a love story for the ages.
Post a Comment