I remember once my youngest brother standing before me on a Sunday morning while I brushed his hair for church. I had just celebrated my 18th birthday and a friend gave me some Bath and Body Works lotion--I can't remember the name of it now--that had a very sweet smell to it. Ezra sniffed the air and said, "Do you have candy in here?" "No," I replied, very confused. "Why would I have candy in my bedroom?" "Well, somethin' smells like candy." A minute later it occurred to me what it might be so I held out my arm for him to smell. He gasped, "You smell like lollipops!"
One of my favorite things about young children is that, due to their limited experiences and command of their language, they are forced to describe things in ways we wouldn't have thought. It's rare, but once in a while even the brightest kid (feel free to read that as, "Madie") comes up with an incredible simile that just inspires the poet within the listener.
I've taken to sometimes wearing a headscarf again, now that my hair has definitely hit an awkward stage. This morning I wrapped it and braided the left-overs instead of winding them. Madie is always after me to wear them long so I thought she'd like it. I turned to her and said, "There! How's that?"
| How would you describe it? |
![]() |
| A better shot from the side. |
She considered for a second then said, "It looks like braided ice cream!"
Who wants to beat that?

1 comment:
a braided ice cream!! That is awesome! Nothing better than a braided ice cream!
Post a Comment