Yesterday Miss Madeleine turned 3! Since we had already celebrated with cake and ice cream and presents earlier this month while grandparents were visiting, and again on Friday with a couple of friends who have kids whose birthdays are around the same time, we decided to just keep things simple.
I don't know why we bother having more than just a "whatever you wish" kind of day for kids' birthdays at all, 'cause this was just perfect! When she woke up, I offered to make whatever she wished for breakfast. She couldn't think of anything special until I started listing them--and crepes with "chocolate butter" (Nutella) won out.
After Zumba I took an ultra-fast shower so Madie could have a bubble bath. This was followed by Dumbo--movies in the morning are rare at this house since they tend to cause *ahem* slightly less than perfect behavior the rest of the day. But today she was a dream.
When Dad got home he threw some meatballs together and pesto and took her out to the pool while I formed the meatballs and got the rest of dinner started. This was a big day because Madie, using her waterwings and her kick board, swam without holding on to anyone for the first time ever! (Aside from being in an innertube, which I don't count.)
For dinner we had pasta with pesto and cheese and meatballs. Madie was born almost a vegetarian, but meatballs are the exception. She loves them! And when they're followed by chocolate ice cream they're even better!
While we were out shopping I told her she could pick out some flowers for herself. I love getting flowers--I mean, who doesn't?! Of course, she picked the pinkest ones she could find. I love stock. It smells so good.
She spent some time post-supper doing airplane rides with Dad while I worked on finishing the cape her father told her I would make. Thanks, Mike. ;) She asked me a while ago to put a button on her hooded towel so she could have a proper cape (never mind the lady-bug face and antennae) and I told her no, but that I might make her a cape some day. Mike said, "Yeah! Maybe for your birthday!" Well, I guess she remembered that because at Zumba she told a friend of mine that I was going to make her a pink cape today so she could be Belle. Hmmm... I've never made a cape, nor did I have the material (so I thought).
Turns out making capes isn't too difficult. I had an old dress from a friend of hers that had a tear in the waist that I wasn't planning on fixing so I tore it apart and got to work. The only thing we had to run out for was some beribboned bias tape. I think it turned out fairly well! She didn't get it until this morning so we took it out for a spin in the cool, slightly foggy weather.
| Finn is thinking something along the lines of, "I really don't care that she has a cape. Let's keep moving." |
Move we did! We spent pretty much the whole time running away from the beast. That was fine with me since at a run she can keep up with me at a decent pace. Otherwise I may as well be sitting on the couch.
| She looks like some wealthy orphan in a Charles Dickens novel. |
We saw this snail doing some awesome moves on this twig. Honestly, I don't know how it was staying on the thing. I have better pictures of just the snail, but ya know, I didn't know how interested anyone else was to see them. Madie and I loved it though!
I asked her last night at bed time if she'd had a good birthday. "YEP!" she cried and ran off to her room. And that was even before the cape!

7 comments:
I guess instead of Madie-the-Pooh now it will be Madie-Belle! I think the cape is beautiful--no wonder the Beast loves her!
You're such a good mommy, Mal. You made her day very special! She's a very lucky girl - and adorable in that cape!
I am all for the get what you wish for birthdays! Looks like Madie had a super fun day! I love her new cape! Enjoy being 3 Madie. :-)
okay, i want a cape JUST LIKE THAT for my birthday!
What a fun birthday! And your cape is amazing! It is adorable! Way to go super mommy!!!
Sounds like a pretty great birthday to me. :) Good job with the cape! It looks great - and looks like Madie loves it!
Aw, everything turned out super great. I love her pink cape. Perfect for cute Maddie. Glad she had a great birthday!
Post a Comment