It was 96 degrees today.
The girls I babysit were telling me today about a woman who was on Oprah a while ago who did housework in the nude. I thought that was really weird. I mean, why would something like that make the show of a person who is seen as a guru for all American women? Frankly, if I weren't hosting two tweens and a seven-year old in my home, I would have been doing the same thing today.
At the end of a very long day--very, very long--I got home with aching feet and inexplicably tired thighs. Honestly, I really can't think of what it was that caused my thighs to hurt so much. Did I do so many squats this morning I blacked out and now I can't recall any of it? I find that hard to believe. I hate squats, so why would I do any much less many?
Sorry, most of that last paragraph was an aside. The point is, though I desperately wanted to strip down and lay on the floor in front of the fan, what I did instead was start folding laundry. I never stop doing laundry. Ever. While I was folding and subsequently hanging more laundry I started thinking about laundry pre-washer. I've hand-washed some articles of clothing before, but only because you can't machine wash them. I can probably list the times on both hands. And sure, I hang dry, so maybe that adds another ten minutes than simply machine drying would. But I still can't fathom hand-laundering everything for an entire family.
But jumping into laundry like I did was a blessing in disguise: those wet whites were so refreshing! They smelled delightful, they were lightweight, and oh-so cool! I held one shirt up to my face and felt the cool all over.
Is anyone else ever pleasantly surprised by a task that never seems to get done?
The girls I babysit were telling me today about a woman who was on Oprah a while ago who did housework in the nude. I thought that was really weird. I mean, why would something like that make the show of a person who is seen as a guru for all American women? Frankly, if I weren't hosting two tweens and a seven-year old in my home, I would have been doing the same thing today.
At the end of a very long day--very, very long--I got home with aching feet and inexplicably tired thighs. Honestly, I really can't think of what it was that caused my thighs to hurt so much. Did I do so many squats this morning I blacked out and now I can't recall any of it? I find that hard to believe. I hate squats, so why would I do any much less many?
Sorry, most of that last paragraph was an aside. The point is, though I desperately wanted to strip down and lay on the floor in front of the fan, what I did instead was start folding laundry. I never stop doing laundry. Ever. While I was folding and subsequently hanging more laundry I started thinking about laundry pre-washer. I've hand-washed some articles of clothing before, but only because you can't machine wash them. I can probably list the times on both hands. And sure, I hang dry, so maybe that adds another ten minutes than simply machine drying would. But I still can't fathom hand-laundering everything for an entire family.
But jumping into laundry like I did was a blessing in disguise: those wet whites were so refreshing! They smelled delightful, they were lightweight, and oh-so cool! I held one shirt up to my face and felt the cool all over.
Is anyone else ever pleasantly surprised by a task that never seems to get done?
3 comments:
Hahaha! I love this post--it made me smile. It's so much fun to be around people who can find a bright side of things--uh, even if we're not really around... :)
Dishes. I hate doing them, but I LOVE the way my kitchen looks when I'm done. And the sound of the dishwasher is (almost) always pleasant white noise.
Oh gosh!! The paragraph about the squats was hilarious! :D
Post a Comment