Friday, May 27, 2011

Homesick Ramblings

I have seen a number of Facebook posts the past three weeks or so that say things like this,

"Heading to the island. Anyone need a ride?" or
"Boston to MDI: 5 hours. But I'm finally home!" or
"Back home for the summer. Who wants to get together?"

This has left me in the most melancholy mood. I miss home so much, and the thing is I don't really ever get to go back. I'm not talking about the whole a-place-doesn't-stay-the-same-ergo-you-can-never-go-"home" thing. I'm talking about never being able to physically get to where I grew up.

Of course, it doesn't really help that I have two places I consider "home"--aside from my home with Mike of course. But really, although I do miss my family and some people on Saipan, I don't think of it as home. Not to mention there have been so many changes to the house and many of my friends don't live there anymore, so it's really only my family and few others who make Saipan "home" for me.

But that's all beside the point. The point is, I miss Maine. Mike was saying to me last Sunday, "What do you mean, we never get to go to Maine? We went twice last year!" And it's great to get to visit Dover. I love seeing my family, but what I really mean is I never get to go home to MDI. That's where I want to be. And these statuses of old friends last seen long ago are making me very homesick.
This photographer/realtor is great. Check her out!


2 comments:

MJ said...

AMEN. I totally know what you mean.

I was a Colorado Girl through and through until I met MDI. I fully intend on getting a summer home, even if it's a shack, on MDI before my kids get too old.

I really wish I could buy Janice and Galen's old place, with the picture window that faces the meadow.

*SIGH*

I'm right there with you, girl.

bob said...

i know what you mean.