Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mike's Gone

They announced during Sharing Time in Primary that the Elder's Quorum would be bowling tonight at 9 pm. That's all fine and dandy for them, but Mike and I are on a 30 Rock kick--we're systematically working through all the seasons--and this really puts a damper on my night. But he's always complaining that the Elder's Quorum never does anything ("and the Relief Society is always doing things"--which is true) so he wasn't allowed to stay home, even when the temptation to watch another episode hit us both wicked hard. I've read a few chapters in my book, which I'm almost finished with but haven't felt up to reading lately--I think mostly due to being sick last week. Being sick always puts me off from reading, ironically. I just feel too tired to pay attention and take notes, etc., but I know that if I read it without paying attention or at least jotting some thoughts down I'm probably going to just forget about it and reading that part will have been largely worthless since I don't remember anything from it. It also takes longer 'cause my mind keeps wandering off the page and I end up back-tracking to figure out what's going on.

So, yeah, reading while I'm sick doesn't work out. Moving on.

I'm not sick anymore. Thank heavens. Last week really did a number on me, as demonstrated on Friday when I completely slept through my voice lesson--at 6 pm. That was embarrassing. My email to my teacher that night was just pathetic. Sunday I was well enough to fill in for a friend of mine who leads music for the Primary. Oh, my, she is the luckiest woman on earth! No, leading in Primary is not that great. It can be fun, but the big kids are constantly seeking attention (or avoiding it) and getting the Sunbeams to pass the teddy bear in a game of musical hot potato is like trying to get them to hold still while you saw their legs off.

But then you get to go to nursery. Oh, my! What an AWESOME gig! Man, that is where I'm supposed to be! And the best part is, two of the girls were home sick that day! (Not that them being sick is good, it was just nice to have such a small class.) It was Madie and three boys. They sit on these little carpet squares the teachers pull out for them and just stare up at me like high schoolers who think they'll get As if they stay awake! The three littlest ones--Madie, Ezra, and Weston--all lit up when I pulled out little suns on popsicle sticks for them to hold while we sang Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam. Weston kept running up to me every time I'd pull something out of the bag and clap his hands together until I gave it to him. Hahahaha! I was cracking up! Even Ezra, who has had three hard weeks of nursery so far, calmed right down and smiled when singing time began. Oh my goodness, it made my week, that's for sure.

Speaking of little kids being cute:


Her foot looks huge in this picture. Well, actually, her feet are pretty big. For an 18-month old anyway. I'm planning on sending her to clown school.

And here's a little sumpin'-sumpin' I've been working on for a few days now. Part of me feels like it needs to be longer, but then every time I go to write more nothing sounds right. It all sounds like I'm trying to hard to lengthen it, so I guess this is it. I dedicate it to Tani, since she's always asking to read my stuff. Thanks, Tani! You're too sweet--I'm sure everyone else thinks that too. ;) (P.S. I hate, haaaaaaaate titling things. I'm so bad at it! If you have any suggestions let me know.)

Days pass slowly.
Weeks fly.
Time itself knows not what it does,
But tumbles down as so many beads
Off a broken necklace
Bouncing and scattering,
Then slowly spinning to their stops.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

that's how the nursery leaders calmed sterling down, was by singing. now he crys when i leave him, but doesn't want to leave. i'm glad that you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out! I definitely did a double take when I read my name haha. I really liked the rhythm of your poem, and the words stuck with me so I really liked that. But I do feel like it would be more complete with more explanation of why time feels like that. That's just me though. It is beautiful as-is also.

Jessica :) said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick. I hate being sick. Mommies just shouldn't be sick - ever.
I do love your poem! It is so lyrical and simplistic, yet so true! Thanks for sharing!

ML said...

I love your poem the way it is--I think more explanation would take away from readers being able to relate it to their own unique perspectives.

Unknown said...

I just read it again after reading that last comment and thought about what it might mean to me. And I decided that it makes me feel melancholy.

For example, the beads of time, in this analogy are beautiful, unique and you enjoy them for what they are, but you will never have them in the same organization or pattern that they were in originally (when they were in the present-does that make sense?).

In your brain, time is no longer linear. Your memory becomes a little fuzzy, and you spin some of your emotion into the memory. To me, that is why time does not know what it does. Because time is only a creation of our perception.

Is that too much? What does it mean to you Mal? Other commentors?

Mal said...

I definitely agree that time is only a creation of our our own minds--hence it doesn't know what it does. Yes, I think I'll leave it the way it is.