Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Madie's Playlist

I was just climbing into bed on Sunday night when Madie started crying. It's very rare for her to wake up in the middle of the night and when she does she often settles right back down without much from me or Mike. But after a few minutes she was still fussing and since I was wide awake, I figured I'd pop in to see if she was lying down or standing up (standing up = determined to get Mum's attention). When I walked in she was wide awake and immediately started chattering to me. I pulled her out of bed and decided I would see if she would let me rock her. Because we've always let Madie fall asleep on her own, rocking hasn't been a big hit in the past; she's either too busy to be bothered with sitting on your lap or too interested in the adornments on the chair to calm down to a nice mellowness. Ergo, I haven't given it a shot in some months. Sunday night though, was different.

I sat her on my lap facing me and she leaned her face against my chest and held her blankie. Then I got to do something I haven't done in a long, long time: rock a kiddie and sing lullabies. It is one of my favorite things to do. Madie made it even cuter by looking up at me whenever I finished a song and signing, "again." And to top it all off, periodically she would look up at me and bring her face as close to mine as she could and then make a kissing noise (her version of a kiss).

Want Madie's playlist? "Hallelujah," "Baby Mine," and "Somewhere over the Rainbow" are a good start.

2 comments:

ML said...

When they're being sweet there's nothing sweeter!

Ben and Kristen Call said...

That is the sweetest thing. I wish Reese would let me rock her, but she has way too much energy to sit in my lap and let me rock her.