
To Serve as Explanation
I searched for love in poetry
for happiness in verse,
I thought I could find
some ready-to-wear words
that fit us
precisely.
Of course, things like that
don't happen.
Only tailored words
can ever fit two people
as different and alike
as we.
And since I'll be
reviewing the budget
tomorrow,
hiring a tailor was
out of the question.
So although these lines--
for poem I'm not sure it is--
will not be followed by the name
Dickinson, or Shakespeare, or Donne,
know the hand that wrote them
is my own.
To Actually Describe (or Passing the Buck)
After four tries,
over two days,
to write a poem that
seemed to describe
accurately and without
quaintness, what it was
I wanted to express,
I have determined
my own words to be
insufficient.
Let's see if you can do better?
I expect a love note on my pillow by
Sunday afternoon.
Love you lots! Happy anniversary!
3 comments:
This poem is so sweet and simple- how cute! Mike, you better write a good note(maybe I shouldn't assume Mal wrote it?)! Happy Anniversary you love birds!
haha! I did, Tani. Mike's usually the one who posts things like this on our anniversary, etc. He's really good about that. But I told him I wanted to do this one!
Wow, have two years gone by already? Crazy. Happy belated anniversary.
Post a Comment