Sunday, June 13, 2010

Yosemite

We had the amazing opportunity of visiting Yosemite National Park last Thursday and Friday. I cannot use words to describe the majesty of the rock formations, waterfalls, and ambiance of the Yosemite Valley! It was quite an experience. I grew up a mere three hours away from the park, and through my 18 years of living that close, not ONCE did I visit it! So, we made a point of visiting it this time around. A couple of friends of mine, Indy and Faris, came with to embark on a grueling hike on Thursday while Mallory and Madie hung out at the shops and held down the fort. For those interested, we took the Four-mile trail up to Glacier Point, and then the Panorama trail back to Yosemite Valley. Totals miles hiked: 12.6. The original plan was to hike Half-Dome, but the cables to the summit aren't up yet due to late snowfall/slippery conditions. I'll admit, I was initially disappointed with not being able to hike Half-Dome, but after going on this hike I feel redeemed. We got to see the entire Yosemite Valley from our hike, and multiple angles/distances of Half-Dome. I don't know that it would have been as rewarding to hike it as it was to watch it all day. On with the photos.

Lower Yosemite Falls in the background. The largest waterfall in the United States (photo of the entire falls is further down).

Nevada Falls, and a slab of granite that looked like Patagonia, right behind Half-Dome.

We went on some short hikes on Friday, and Madie LOVED it! She slept really well (thank you to whoever invented the pacifier) this time around, and loved the outdoors so much! She was in such a happy mood the whole trip.
Vista from our hike. We started down where those trees are in the valley. It's overlooking El Capitan (right ridge).

Amazing views of Half-Dome all day. I must have taken 50 pictures of it.

Here is a view of Yosemite Falls from the ridge we climbed. It falls 3,500 ft. from top to bottom.

Faris, Indy, and I from the top of Glacier Point.

On the Panorama trail, we found some water on the trail! Mixed springs, snowmelt, and whatever else was just dumping on the trail. Fun to walk through.

Another shot of Yosemite Falls. I think I counted 7-8 'official' water falls that emptied into the valley.

Madie fell asleep while walking around. I think she was out for 20 mins or so.

Walking back to the car to head home. We are already plotting a return trip to hike a trail that takes you to the top of Yosemite Falls, and to bring our bikes to ride around. It really is a magical place to visit.

6 comments:

ML said...

Wow! Amazing pictures!

Karen said...

Looks beautiful. I can't believe we never took advantage of it while we lived there. I'm glad you were able to go.

Tyler said...

One of my favorite places in the world, and surely my favorite National Park. I'm sad that I won't be making it there this year.......

Jessica :) said...

That is a really pretty place! I love the pictures. I guess here is another destination to put on the list of "see someday".

Ave said...

All of that hiking would make me tired and cross. What a beautiful place, I have wanted to go there since watching that Ken Burns National Parks series. Awesome.

Unknown said...

This looks like an amazing trip! Do you guys have a national parks pass? I want one so bad! I think it would give us more incentive to drive out to parks.
Maddie is such a happy baby! You guys are great parents!