1. I was not prepared for the feeling of being split in half. I knew it would be painful, but when her head started to come I realized a whole new level of pain. That was the only time during the whole thing that the pain became completely unfamiliar. Up until then, I was certainly in pain, but I often thought to myself, "man, this feels lot like..." so I knew I could deal with it.
2. I was also not quite prepared for my complete loss of modesty. I mean, of course I didn't care too much about the doctors and such, but even after I had been taken to the mother-baby wing and people came to visit, I would find myself thinking, "Hmmm, I should feed the baby" and then realize my company just in time to stop myself. Mum said after I told her about it, "Yeah, from here on out modesty becomes more something you follow for the comfort of others. You yourself really couldn't care less." So true.
3. My first shower after delivery. It was wonderful to not have all the grime on me anymore, but I kept reading in places things like, "Your first shower after delivery is one of the most refreshing things you'll ever feel." Not so. My second shower was great, but my first revealed to me things I hadn't realized until then, like the swelling (which I also wasn't prepared for) and the exhaustion. My second shower was right before I left the hospital and I finally felt really clean for the first time in two days.
4. Breast feeding. Madie has an excellent latch. Enviable, in fact. But I was still so sore. Finally, I told one of the nurses and after she confirmed how well-latched she was, she said, "I know those lactation consultants say things all the time about how natural it is and how it should never hurt and how it's a beautiful thing, blah blah blah, but ya know what? That's crap. Breast feeding does hurt. And it's hard. We aren't used to something sucking there, and that means you'll have to get used to it, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better." Another true statement. I'm glad I can breast feed, I know some women can't. And I think it is good for the baby. But that nurse is right: it does hurt, and it is hard. I hate it when people say things like, "I can't believe you would give your baby formula when breast feeding is clearly the natural, RIGHT thing to do." Yeah, yeah, yeah. I say, if you can and you want to and it fits well with your schedule, do it, and stick to it! But remember, no infant ever died from formula.
5. Finally, I was not prepared for how beautiful my baby is. Whenever I say that people give me the whole, "Yeah, well, all mothers say that" look/speech, but really, I have never been the kind of person to sugar-coat how a baby looks. I figure it's not hurting their feelings at all if I say they're ugly, and it doesn't bother me when people tell me a baby I love is an ugly one. But really, Madeleine is beautiful. She's got a pretty round face and a beautifully shaped head. She's got pretty ears and lips, and nice big eyes, but not the freaky lookin' big eyes I had. These ones fit her face. Mine fit a cow's face.
8 comments:
Welcome to motherhood!! Sounds like you're figuring it out nicely!! We can't wait to meet her...and she IS BEAUTIFUL!!
Your last sentence cracked me up, Mal. You're so funny. You're right about one thing though - Madie is beautiful. It sure was fun watching her on webcam last night. Can't wait to see her in person. I hope she keeps up the good sleeping pattern! You don't know how lucky you are.....
Yay! You're a mother! I am so proud of you. I am so happy Madeleine can latch on really well. Porter couldn't... and after many hours and months of trying, he still can't, but you're right, no infant has ever died from feeding off formula and my baby is still chunky and i suppose he still loves me. ;) anyway, I want to come visit you soon so expect a phone call and let me know when is a good time for you and your family.
Nice post Mal, well said. I had a very similar experience with Lottie and nursing, she was born to eat. Just remember, the pain does go away eventually, and it is PAIN, I think it was like a month with Lottie. I always hated women who said that they never had any trouble nursing, liars all of them. Good luck!
Thanks Ave! Yeah, pain is exactly the word... none of this, "you'll feel a little uncomfortable" or "there's just a little pressure" crap.
I'm glad everything went well with labor and delivery, and that you are enjoying being a mom. Let me know if you need anything, especially after your mum goes home. Congratulations!
lanolin helped with the feeding and not getting dry etc. you don't use too much of it each time and you don't have to wipe it off before feeding, though she will have to get used to the taste. a nursing cover helps for feeding in public. you can make them easily or buy them. andrew got mine on ebay. it's really nice, especially now that sterling pulls on anything that his hand touchs. glad everything is going well. thanks for letting us come and visit.
SIX WEEKS. Everyone kept telling me it'd only take 2 to get used to breastfeeding, and only ONE friend told me 6. She was right. A few times, I just cried while Aidan ate, it hurt so bad.
Just remember Lansinoh. That stuff is AWESOME. I never had any splitting or cracking going on, and I completely credit the use of Lansinoh.
And Madeleine IS beautiful! She looks just like you!
Post a Comment