Saturday, August 8, 2009

Nothing like August Snow!

Announcement: We will officially be heading to Salt Lake City in January. Mallory was assigned to South Salt Lake for her student teaching, so we are excited to know where we are going!

Onto the post. Snow in August! Can you believe it? Doesn't make sense, right? Well it does if you are standing on top of an 11,106 ft. mountain in the Tetons! I went for a hike today (Mal didn't come with for obvious reasons). It was a 10.5 mile loop up Table Mountain, and features amazing views of the Tetons from the top. You are literally right in front of them.

Here is our group. It consisted of ward members, and our Bishop's children/nephew. It was the perfect sized group.

This is someone else's picture, taken from the top of Table Mountain. I have to live vicariously through other people's pictures of what it looks like on top of the mountain because there was very low visibility once we hit 9,000 ft.

Here is Alaska Basin taken from the start of the hike. Great view!

A little higher up, we stumbled across a Moose cow and her calf. We were actually really close, and she didn't seem to mind so much.

There were these huge meadows all over the mountain side. Everyone kept humming or singing Sound of Music, which is always appropriate when you are hiking.

This is approaching the summit. There were quite a few glaciers up there. Again, the visibility became lower and lower the higher we went.

Yep, it's snowing in this picture. This is the summit. Thanks Mal for the umbrella.

Climbing down from the summit.

Coming down from the top, we could finally see the summit from below! We couldn't see this before. It started to clear up a little bit, then a couple of miles later it rained the entire hike back to the car. Needless to say, we were all soaked. Quite an adventure.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

that was quick! glad you all enjoyed yourselves.

Tyler said...

Nice Mike...I forgot that there may be snow somewhere else in the world this time of year. At least we are in a "cooling pattern" today, only reaching 104 degrees in AZ.

Michael said...

haha, yeah I try to post things like this ASAP so I don't forget details. I'm glad things are cooling down in AZ Ty. Looks like the tables are about to turn in a few months here with weather envy. I'll be wishing I was in the 70 degree AZ winter!

Ave said...

So will Mal be finished with all of her classes once the student teaching is completed? This sounds strange but I am jealouse of the snow, I am looking forward to Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I will Ave. And student teaching isn't even a full semester! It's only 8 weeks or something like that! I am so excited to be DONE!

holly said...

Cool hike...is that Mary Poppins on the top of the mountain?? I hope you got her autograph. ha, ha... Wish we could have done that hike while we were there!

I have to admit I am really sad you are not joining us in Iowa but it's all good...Utah is cool too I guess, if you like living in a boring place that doesn't get tornados, ice storms, thick humid summers, and where the wind doesn't blow constantly. What were you thinking in that decision...??