This last weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Washington, DC. It was for a professional conference that I am affiliated with called the AIHA (American Industrial Hygiene Association). They paid for my plane ticket, my hotel stay (Fairview Marriot, normally $300/night), food, and transportation.
I left the Idaho Falls airport on Friday afternoon. Once we were airborne, I looked out my window and saw the Grand Tetons rising above the sky and had to take a picture. It looked so cool!
I had a lay over in Denver, and noticed these signs all over the place! I had never seen one before. They were located on the outside of bathrooms and emergency exits.
On Saturday night, I had the opportunity to meet up with an old college roomate that now works for the Department of Defense. He asked me what I would like to see, and I replied "Ya know? I have never been to Mt. Vernon." It was a little bit later, and the gates were all locked. Unfortunately, we couldn't see a thing! I decided to take a picture by this sign, as proof of my visit. I mean, there wasn't much else I could do.
On Sunday afternoon, we had a few hours to go do some sight-seeing. We decided to visit Arlington National Cemetery. This was one of many sobering sights.
Of course, we made it to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier auditorium.
John F. Kennedy's burial.
The view from Kennedy's burial, overlooking the Mall.
This was my first time visiting Iwo Jima, the Marine Corps War Memorial. It was a lot bigger in real life that I had ever imagined! In the picture are fellow students who also attended the conference. The second guy from the left is actually in my sister Holly's ward in Iowa, which was kind of fun. Everyone else is representing University of Utah, Utah State, University of Michigan, and Murray State.
I couldn't help but laugh at this one. While in the airport, I saw a ton of John McCain memorabilia. It was kind of sad that they still had it. The conference was great overall. It was a great networking opportunity, and it's always fun to visit the monuments in our nations capital.
5 comments:
That sounds like a lot of fun, and you can't beat all expenses paid! John and I have never toured D.C. I went to the Zoo and to the temple once, that is it. Os tje pit;ppl fpr OSHA type jobs good, in our economic crisis? I have been wondering if the state and feds dare cut back on safety inspecition people? I sure hope not!
OSHA is actually hiring right now. They don't pay as well as a private company would, but you do get all the government benefits. Just like any government job, the longer you are there, the better the pay. That's why it's tempting to work for them, once you have a job you are pretty much set.
Bummah about Mt. Vernon. I've always wanted to go there, too.
Are you looking for a typing job with OSHA Ave? :)
Sounds like you had a good trip Michael--seeing your pictures really made me miss D.C. Casey and I used to go down about once a year when that was our temple district, but we haven't been there since.
Hey Michael, thanks for the pics of your trip. Sorry about Mt. Vernon - it's really worth going to - maybe next time!
I just noticed that little Bun is getting bigger! Soon we'll be able to know if it's a girl bun or a boy bun! Can't wait......love ya.
Post a Comment