Friday, November 10, 2017

Chores

Madie broke into tears on Tuesday when I pulled out the pair of snow pants a friend of mine gave us when they moved. They didn't fit last year but this year--like a glove

"What is wrong with these?" 
"I want snow bibs!"
"Okay, but that's not something to cry about. These are in great condition, no tears, a cute pattern--patterned snow pants!"
"They're ugly! I hate them!"
"Madie, why are these ugly?" 
"They just are!" 
Oh.
"Listen, we are not going to buy new snow pants just because you don't like the ones we already have. If you want different ones that badly, you need to buy them yourself."
"I can't! They're too much! They were $10 at Marden's and I only have $3." 
"You only have $3 because you never do any money chores. We are literally trying to give you money for things we can just do ourselves and you guys won't take it!" 
"By the time I earn enough they probably won't even be at Marden's." 
"You could earn $7 in a couple hours. Stop whining and do something useful."
And thus ended my pep talk for the week.

Fast forward to Friday. Here we are on a day off from school with a whole afternoon and nothing to do. I suggest after lunch that anyone who doesn't want a traditional quiet time (reading a book, taking a nap, drawing, etc.) can do some money chores. Finn opts for setting up a "desk" and writing out phrases like, "Madie is farty." (Thanks, Ms. P, for teaching my son to write.) Madie decides to pick a task from the money-chore list on the fridge. 

Now my windows are clean, my door knobs and switch panels are disinfected, my heaters and dining chairs are dusted, the garage is swept, and Madie is $7 richer.

We had a high today of 35, in the sun. And the wind was bitter.

But my garage is clean.

Here's hoping Marden's still has $10 snow pants.

1 comment:

ML said...

My first inclination was to comment on what a wonderful girl my granddaughter is--and she is. But what impresses me equally, if not more, is what a wonderful woman and mother my daughter is--and she is! I love you Mally! <3