The older Lady Madeleine gets, the more fun I have with her. One thing I have been loving this school year is all the books she's been writing and illustrating. She just brought a bunch of her work home, and I am posting some of them here for you--I'll post one each day for the next few days. The class has been working on informative chapter books. This first one is the one she published for the class's publishing party.
I give you, All About Hiking by Madeleine Watkins

"How to hike introduction. Have you gone on a hike before? Well, if you haven't I will teach about it.
 |
| Chapter 1: If it is windy outside, make sure you dress warm because on the top of the mountain it will be very cold. |
 |
| Oh, and I forgot to say this but I just wanted to tell you why it is important to dress warm: because it is cold on top of the mountain, even in the summertime. |
 |
| And in the summertime you do not have to wear a jacket. You can just wear a sweat- |
 |
| shirt. And in the winter you have to wear a sweatshirt, and a winter jacket, and some snow pants, and snow shoes. |
 |
| Chapter 2: Choose a mountain and then you hike the mountain that you chose. |
 |
| And choose which way to go and go the way you chose. Jordan Pond is that way and Dear Meadow is that way. |
 |
| Chapter 3: And if you get lost find a sign, and then read it. |
 |
| But you must stay on the trail. |
 |
| Chapter 4: There can be steep rocks sometimes. To get over that is to find little handholds. |
 |
| Two for you feet and two for your hands. |
 |
| And then the most exciting part: climbing. So to do that you have to put one foot in your handhold and your hand in the next handhold and then you do that with the other side of your body and you go. |
 |
| But not until you get to the top of the mountain. If it takes you to the top of the mountain, okay, do it. But if there is a trail go on the trail. |
 |
| Chapter 5: If you fall you will be okay, just keep hiking. And if there is another place to climb, do the same thing. |
 |
| I hope if you have not gone on a hike you get to go on one." |
1 comment:
Oh boy! I don't know when I've had a greater desire to go hiking than I have since I read this book! I'm so excited that I know the author!
Post a Comment