The severity of the past two winters have been well-documented. I guess after getting beat senseless with old man winters ice club has made me come to the realization that I need to either accept it, or move. I have opted to accept it, and try to embrace it. Heading into winter this year, Mal and I came up with a game plan to combat some of the winter blues I sometimes experience. Time outside is my number one medication. So naturally, we planned to do more outside. Most of our Christmas gifts this year revolve around this (snowshoes, ice skates, sleds, snow gear, etc). We have discussed getting the family into downhill skiing or snowboarding, and planning an annual trip as a family for a new tradition. All of these plans...ways to look forward to the season. And I can honestly say that making these plans have been helping me look forward to a potential repeat of last year. But, we are still waiting for our first snow...I don't want to complain though, we have certainly been taking advantage of this beautiful weather we have been having. I've basically come to terms with the weather situation and decided that we just need to play the cards we are dealt. When it snows, we'll go ice skating and skiing. When it's warm, we'll go climbing and canoeing. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks.
 |
| Just Madie and I went on a hike up Flying Mountain. The views were great, and I got to talk to Madie about school, and marine life. She has taken a special interest in whales lately. She says they are her favorite animal. |
 |
| Nella favors her left two fingers for her mouth, which frees up her right hand to grab either her ear, or the ear of the person that is holding her for comfort. I've joked with Mal that we should get a rubber ear for a stocking stuffer this year... |
 |
| We have caught Santa a couple of times so far this year. This event was in Northeast Harbor. In all of Madies life, I still don't think she has said more than five words to Santa. She is very interested in Santa and his elves though. She asks a lot of questions about Rophy, our elf on a shelf. |
 |
| This moment warmed my heart. Our kids love to plop down on the couch and look a books. It's cute to watch Nella climb the couch with a book in hand, settle herself down and thumb through her cardboard books. |
 |
| Last weekend we sent for a hike up the west side of Champlain. It was beautiful up there, with granite boulders, steep terrain, and dramatic light setting in the southwest. You can really see how early the sun is setting in this photo, which was taken around 3:15 pm. Winter solstice is coming soon, which means every day after will only be getting lighter. |
 |
| Yesterday was over 50 degrees! I had been looking forward to it all week, thinking about what we were going to do to take advantage. I don't know why, but I just really had the itch to go canoeing. Finn and I made a Man-Day out of it and took it up Northeast Creek. We saw a lot of Canadian geese and ducks. Today I asked Finn if he had a good time yesterday, and he said, "Yup!" |
 |
| A couple of geese we were able to sneak up on. |
No comments:
Post a Comment