In our home, as in my parents, I always feel like Christmas Eve is the more sacred time--almost more of the holiday--than Christmas Day is. Being (relatively newly) married makes for interesting, sometimes awkward Christmas traditions until things are smoothed over. I feel like Mike and I are really settling into our Christmas Eve traditions now--although we both agree the salad I made tonight needs to go. Salad, yes; this particular salad, no.
Oyster stew is always our main, and this year I made a ruby red jello salad--both my family's tradition. I made stollen for the first time and I have got to say it was a huge success. That's not exactly Mike's family's tradition, but I decided to do it instead of rolls because (a) Mike feels a particular connection with Germany through his father's family, and (b) I don't love my rolls. Sometimes they're great, other times, not so much. We made a green salad, but we've already covered that.
In Mike's family, their Christmas dessert of choice is peppermint ice cream roll. I'm not a huge fan. I mean, it's good, I enjoy eating it at my mother-in-law's or Mike's grandma's. But I don't necessarily want to make it. In my family we have pavlova. I love pavlova. It's quite sweet, but if you don't sweeten your whipped cream, it's perfect. Mum always covered it with kiwis and pomegranate seeds and it was just a beautiful, bejeweled ring. I made that for the first few years before Mike told me he wasn't a great fan of it. So two years ago we decided to just do something totally different from either. I suggested gingerbread. I found a recipe and made it and we both really liked it. Last year I made the same recipe but baked it in a square pan like it said, and I felt like it was very dry. This year I went back to a loaf pan and we served it with custard sauce. I would say that was a hit. And there's just something about gingerbread that seems so homey and warm and particularly Christmassy.
Then, as so many before us, comes the reading of Luke 2 and a live nativity acted out by the children of the family. Oh, you are all in for a treat.
 |
| Here's an elated Mary. |
 |
| Joseph was something of a sporadic leader. |
 |
| And as soon as Mary got off that donkey, Joseph was all over him. |
 |
| Madie actually really wanted to be Mary and was excited for this, but we had all the missionaries over and she was feeling a little self-conscious. |
 |
| The donkey finally told Joseph he needed a break. |
 |
| Joseph's gift to the new born Jesus was a token of his livelihood. At least that's what Finn probably thinks. |
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment