Thursday, December 18, 2014

Krampusnacht

Okay, so there's this little tradition in old Germanic cultures that says on the Eve of the Feast of Saint Nicholas (Dec. 5th) St. Nicholas' Christmas helper comes to whip the naughty little boys and girls into shape. There are many different depictions of this cheery friend, but we're lucky enough to have this little number gracing our fridge:

Happy Holidays!
It was a Krampusnacht card from a friend last year (Thanks, Merrill!) and it was Mike's executive decision to leave it up year-round. Not that he had to fight me much--or at all. 
We had some friends over for games one night and out of no where, one stops mid-sentance and says, "Okay, I just have to ask, why do you have a picture of the Devil on your fridge?" Glad you asked, Julia. Glad you asked.

You see, December 6th is the feast of St. Nicholas, but before Santa Clause's arrival, his good friend, Krampus, pays a visit on what is called Krampusnacht. Krampus chases after naughty children and takes them away before Santa comes the next day.

Talk about having someone else do the dirty work.
If St. Nicholas were a doctor, Krampus would be a nurse.
I've gotta say, I kind of love this whole thing.

"But Mallory, you're so against bribing your children into righteousness." This is true. I make it clear to my kids that their good behavior is expected because they've been taught and therefore know how to act. It is not something I have to win. This is my main problem with The Elf on The Shelf. I mean, I have no problem not doing all the pin-worthy Elf poses, so just allowing my kids to play a game of hide-and-seek with the Elf is fine. What I really dislike is the book: the story says that the Elf is Santa's helper and he flies between your house and the North Pole and reports on your behavior. Well, not in this house. The kids are told he is Santa's helper because you can tell him what you'd like in your stocking and he'll go back and tell Santa. Of course, my kids really just like to find him, so not even that happens around here. The kids are also told Santa gives presents because he loves children--the same reason we give people presents--not because he expects anything from them, including goodness.

That being said, I do tend to lean a little more toward the terrifying as regards getting my kids to do things. (One of my new favorites in children's literature is Monsters Eat Whiny Children by Bruce Eric Kaplan. Just so much fun. For me.) I mean, I don't let them believe it for too long, but ya know--a few days. Maybe a couple weeks. So the fact that you can buy a Krampus doll makes me really excited, while the Elf makes me feel eh. 

'Cause nothing says, "May your days be filled with laughter and your new year filled with goodness" like this:




No comments: