Mike and I wanted Madie to do something new this summer, preferably something active. She took some ballet lessons last fall thanks to Nana and Papa, and she was really enjoying it until she had a sub ONE DAY and then never wanted to go back. The sub was perfectly nice, and she had even met her before (the regular teacher had two assistants who would switch off, so Madie knew her), but when Madie decides something like that, there's no point in trying to convince her otherwise. I made her go again and she sat in a chair the entire time. After that I pulled her out.
This year we thought, instead of a long-term thing, we'd just sign her up for a sports camp through the YMCA. Luckily, Challenger Sports offers an excellent soccer camp through the local Y. All the coaches are British or Brazilian and have usually been playing since they were kids and coaching for years. We're even hosting a coach, which means we get a BIG discount on the camp, and Madie gets to know someone from another country a little better. (His Manchester accent is quite thick, so it'll be good for her.)
| Madie and the other kids (including Finn) meet Coach Matthew. |
She was wicked apprehensive in the car, so I promised to stay and watch--I was planning on taking Finn to the playground across the street. At first she wouldn't talk to her coach, and would only dribble (very, very slowly) if I was walking next to her. But then they started playing some games, and I eventually just sat down and watched from the side--and made sure Finn didn't go too far away with the ball he was kicking.
| Madie was caught by Coach Matthew so now they both have to be "killer crabs" and catch the other kids. |
| Madie and Finn dribble around with the other kids. |
Madie ended up loving her first day. There were other kids who were too shy to participate through pretty much the whole thing, and I was worried Madie would be the same way, but she even told me it was so much fun and can't wait to go back tomorrow. Every day for a week will be perfect too--she won't have time in between each day to get nervous about it.
As for Finn, he also loved it! Haha! He really is one of the most coordinated children I've ever met. He even drop-kicked the ball a couple of times! I mean, really! On his own! I was amazed!
1 comment:
Awesome! I'm so glad she likes it.
Post a Comment