Monday, March 24, 2014

FreeRice

I've got to share this BRILLIANT idea with you. A friend told me a while ago about this site, freerice.com. Basically it takes advantage of people like me who love to answer questions and companies, like Huggies, who love to advertise. For every correct answer you get in a given subject, ranging from foreign languages to math and science, FreeRice, with the money from it's advertisers, donates 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Programme. I played with English and then French vocabulary (on easy for both, just to try it out) for about 15 minutes and had about 1000 grains of rice. When Madie got up from her quiet time, I played with her. I said the vocabulary word and gave her two of the options. She said which one she thought it was and I clicked on it. If you get it wrong it tells you the right answer and will ask you again later, so you actually are learning the information.

If anyone else joins, we can get a group going. Let me know in the comments! I just think it's such a genius idea!

3 comments:

Mal said...

Oh, and Bob, I think it'd be a great tool for ESL students--the English vocab one I mean.

Unknown said...

I'd be in on this. I've actually played this before (years ago) and it's pretty addicting.

bob said...

great site, thanks for sharing! i'm going to pin it right now.