This last week we flew out to Utah to go to a Watkins family reunion. Luckily, most of Mal's family currently lives in Utah, too! Double-lucky, half of Mal's family is coming to Maine for a couple weeks three days after we fly back home. For our family reunion, my parents rented a cabin in the mountains near Heber City, UT. I'll be honest, I was a bit skeptical about the location at first. We were originally planning to meet in Durango, CO until the house we rented was sold in February. Then we scrambled to find another location that would be the most convenient for all of us. Utah seems to be the default because we all have varying degrees of family that reside here. When we drove up to the cabin and found it in the middle of an aspen grove, I was immediately impressed. I love to see and hear aspen trees. It was a great location, and we all had a lot of fun.
 |
| Our first night in Utah was spent with Grammy Conner in Salt Lake. Madie and Finn were entertained with the fish tank. |
 |
| The next day we met up with Ty and Tiff's family in South Fork, UT. Tiffany was feeding the Finn man. |
 |
| Finn saw the creek and was so eager to jump in the South Fork River. The lakes and streams near us in Maine are quite a bit warmer than this water. I think Fin was a bit shocked with the cold. |
 |
| Madie and Brodie played at Grandma's and were immediately playing together and laughing. |
 |
| Hannah, Grandma, and Finn enjoying outside. |
 |
| We stayed with Ty and Tiffs family at the Watkins Cabin above Sundance. I got up early to snap some photos and get my 'mountain fix'. Such a beautiful area. |
 |
| Madie, Lexi, and Kylie on the bridge behind the Watkins Cabin. |
 |
| After the Watkins Cabin, we headed up to the reunion cabin in Heber City. Madie and Brodi were setting up bear traps. |
 |
| Ty man-ing breakfast. |
 |
| On our way out to Park City, we saw a red fox. |
 |
| Madie loved playing with Sadie as well. |
 |
| Nana holding the Finn man. He was in such a great mood the whole reunion. |
 |
| Lexi loved mothering Finn. She even changed his poopy diaper! |
 |
| I'm kind of surprised I don't have a picture of Madie snuggling with Tiffany, because Tiff was pretty much her favorite person while we were at the reunion. She thought Ty was pretty funny too. |
 |
| Madie tying her shoe on the front deck. |
 |
| Anybody know why the bees were dying when they went on this plant? They were all over the place. |
 |
| "Octopus in the neighborhood?!" Mal was showing her dance skills to the theme songs of Madies favorite TV shows: Dora the Explorer and The Magic School Bus. |
 |
| We went for a little hike as well. Nana, Tffany and Lexi were sporting our red reunion shirts. |
 |
| Dad and Finn. |
 |
| Snack time at the pond. |
 |
| Papa and Finn. |
 |
| Our kids loved playing with their oldest cousin Kylie! |
 |
| Madie loved playing outside with her cousins. |
 |
| The kids were pretty exhausted with the time change. Finn had a particularly hard time adjusting, but was totally adjusted by the last day. Of course! |
 |
| We headed up to Park City for the day and did some alpine slides. I took a video the whole ride down and she was absolutely hilarious. Whenever we went down a steep dip, Madie commented that "That tickled my bum!" |
 |
| For our talent show, Papa told the story of Golden Lochen and the Three Bears in German. |
 |
| On Sunday we had a small family home evening and headed to Temple Square for a tour of the Conference Center. Madie, Sadie, and Brodi were all holding hands here. |
 |
| Finn kept studying Nana's mouth with this scowl of a look on his face for seconds at a time. He was probably wondering why she was chewing gum and he wasn't. He has some serious food jealousy issues. |
 |
| Mal and Madie at the top of the Conference Center. |
 |
| One of the best parts of going to the reunion was seeing our new niece Emily. I'm glad we got to bless her while we were all together. |
 |
| Emily on her blessing day. |
I have some of the coolest nieces and nephews, I loved talking and playing with them. Here is a take-away from each of them that I learned while at our reunion:
- Kylie: Taught me to use Instagram
- Lexi: Loves to mother Finn
- Claire: Was the second fastest kid in her school
- Sadie: She is such a sweet talker
- Sam: The most faithful kid to any hobby or toy I have ever seen (trains for over four years)
- Ethan: I have never met a kid that wants to be a locksmith until this summer
- Brodi: Loves to organize cards and toys in complex patterns
- Hannah: You can win her heart with Chapstick and lotion
- Emily: Very sweet baby
We are looking forward to the next one!
4 comments:
I cannot believe how big Madie is getting. And I wish we could put Finn in the Katriana/Lily line-up. Dang you guys for moving! We miss you.
But your reunion looks like it was great fun, and the area was so pretty.
It was so fun, Shaine. I wish Finn and the girls could play too! And I think I miss Rion more than anyone in the world right now. :( We need to have a friend reunion.
Overachiever!! I have 3 whole weeks of Utah to do so it is taking FOREVER...but I just finished right now...will be uploaded shortly...I have to do it in a different format for my blog book...but I love all your details--well done!! Tell Madie hello and I love her and miss her,...along with a big squeeze and cuddle!! :)
Loved your post. The reunion was so much fun! I loved your evaluation of each of your nieces and nephews - very cute. So glad you guys made the money and time sacrifice of traveling all the way across the country to be with us. Can't wait until the next one.
Post a Comment