Sunday, June 9, 2013

We've got a little more than a garden

Now that we've got the kids moved into their newly painted room, we've been moving onto phase II: getting seeds into the ground. We've got an acre of land and we love fresh produce, so we are not holding back. We really want to get the kids involved as much as possible.  
Our first blueberry plant. 

Finn just loved scooting around the yard. 

Madie loves being outside to play. 

Finn also enjoyed sampling the various rocks. Yum!

This is our front yard. This fall I'd like to plant a lawn here for the kids to run around and play. It's especially convenient because it's right outside our family room and kitchen. 

We have a pond on our property with a family of ducks, pretty cool!

Bonus points for anyone that can name these wild flowers. 

Lots of perennials in the yard.  

Don't know what this is, but there are a few trees like this. 

Any guesses?

Lilac. 

Ferns. 
Wild strawberries. 

Blackberries and raspberries. We've definitely got our work cut out for us!



4 comments:

bob said...

snapdragons!

Mal said...

Wait, is it those flowers Amy told you were foxgloves? They're not. Those are wild lobelia I think. I just looked it up and they look just like those--foxglove stalks are bigger around, kind of like lupine. She told me it was foxgloves that were dangerous (which I'm still skeptical about) but I don't know about these.

ML said...

Foxglove is used to make a heart drug called digitalis--my mother took it for years--I don't know if it's still used or not. I would imagine the plant is toxic to ingest and I would be cautious about skin absorption as well--easy enough to look up.
My grandmother (Alexa) used to have it in her garden. I'm no expert, but I didn't see any picture that looked like foxglove to me...or snapdragon for that matter. :)

bob said...

oh man! and i totally thought i was going to be getting the extra points! obviously i have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to plants. i just looked up pictures of foxgloves, snapdragons, and lobelia and i still all look like snapdragons to me!