Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Raising Mountaineers

I love the outdoors. Hiking, camping, climbing, kayaking...you name it. Even more fun is sharing these activities with my kids. Although both are still young, I think Madie has been places not many other kids her age have been. Being outside is what we do as a family, and I think it's starting to show. I took the Boy Scouts on a hike last Saturday in Acadia. I was initially in a pickle because Mal had a fitness training class to attend for the entire day and I was stuck with the two kiddos and a hike I had planned two weeks prior. After not being able to find a babysitter for Madie, I settled in with the idea of taking both of them with me. Finn on my back, and Madie on foot. Whatever Madie couldn't do, I came to terms that I would have to carry her as well. 

Saturday morning came and off we went up Champlain. Madie absolutely owned that mountain. Aside from helping her scramble up some steep/slippery granite that was more than twice the size of her, she did the entire trek all on her own. Do you realize how proud that makes a daddy? Let's just say I've got a future backpacking partner in this girl. Everyone on the hike kept commenting how impressed they were with her resolution. She did not complain the whole way up. Finn of course was as happy as a clam to be on my back and even decided to take a snooze on the way up. The kids pack is how we got Madie exposed to the trail as well. I can only hope that this is the start of many more adventures. 
Madie was scrambling up this stuff like there was nothing to it. 

What a relaxing way to spend your morning. 

I told Madie to stand next to Finn and smile, and this is what I got. Impressed?

At the top, Finn got to stretch his legs, eat bread, and scoot around. The boys enjoyed playing with him. 


What a team! I did carry Madie a lot of the ways down the trail. But what an accomplishment for a 3 year old. 

4 comments:

ML said...

She is so impressive! And so are her parents.

Tiffany said...

I LOVE how you haven't let them slow you guys down...and that you're so adventurous! Way to go Madie!!! And way to be super dad Mike!!

Ben and Kristen Call said...

WOW!! That is very impressive! And I love that picture of Finn and Madie, priceless!

Tari said...

What's impressive about the Madie picture is that you can tell she has her mom's sarcasm :) haha, my kids do that too, though. I've learned to either say something funny or ask them to say/do something funny to get the genuine smiles.