My maternal grandmother, Judy Alexa, passed away today. This post is so I will have a record of this in my family's history books. I have had both of my grandfathers pass away already, and although I miss them and still think of them often, it is undeniable I am closer to and know my grandmothers better. Maybe that's why I feel such a necessity to put something down.
Grammy Alexa needs to be put in the Guinness Book of Records as the most cheerful, uncomplaining woman in the history of Earth. She suffered through a case of rheumatic fever as a child that left her with a heart murmur, and dealt with various related issues since. She wasn't supposed to have children, and after having my Aunt Hope the doctors told her, "Okay, you pulled through one pregnancy, but really, no more." Then she had my mum two years later and the doctors took matters into their own hands to insure she wouldn't have any more. She mentioned to me numerous times how happy she was to have been blessed with "two wonderful daughters." Even in her last, very painful months (or perhaps years--did the pain in her legs ever end after it had started two or three years ago?) she always answered my concerned inquiries with, "Well, it hurts a little, but don't you worry, I'm doing just fine. And thank you for calling! It's so good to hear your voice!"
She was so excited that we were going to move back to Maine this year. She told me on the phone, "I am so tickled that you're coming. And I love it that Mike is the one who called me to keep me up to speed!" I think it made her feel like she had really gained another grandson the way Mike reached out to her. She loved her daughters and love her sons-in-law and loved her grandchildren and loved her great-grandchildren. And I guess that's what makes me the saddest: we are so close to being back in Maine--only 9 days away--and she died just before she got to meet Finnegan in person. I am glad that she was able to see him through the blessings of modern technology--video chatting is a blessing from God through the intelligence and inventiveness of men I feel every day--but she would have loved to hold him and see his dimples. And to see Madie and watch her with her new baby brother would have delighted her.
Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed, we shall meet at last.
~Kathrina von Schlegel, translated by Jane Borthwick
Grammy Alexa needs to be put in the Guinness Book of Records as the most cheerful, uncomplaining woman in the history of Earth. She suffered through a case of rheumatic fever as a child that left her with a heart murmur, and dealt with various related issues since. She wasn't supposed to have children, and after having my Aunt Hope the doctors told her, "Okay, you pulled through one pregnancy, but really, no more." Then she had my mum two years later and the doctors took matters into their own hands to insure she wouldn't have any more. She mentioned to me numerous times how happy she was to have been blessed with "two wonderful daughters." Even in her last, very painful months (or perhaps years--did the pain in her legs ever end after it had started two or three years ago?) she always answered my concerned inquiries with, "Well, it hurts a little, but don't you worry, I'm doing just fine. And thank you for calling! It's so good to hear your voice!"
She was so excited that we were going to move back to Maine this year. She told me on the phone, "I am so tickled that you're coming. And I love it that Mike is the one who called me to keep me up to speed!" I think it made her feel like she had really gained another grandson the way Mike reached out to her. She loved her daughters and love her sons-in-law and loved her grandchildren and loved her great-grandchildren. And I guess that's what makes me the saddest: we are so close to being back in Maine--only 9 days away--and she died just before she got to meet Finnegan in person. I am glad that she was able to see him through the blessings of modern technology--video chatting is a blessing from God through the intelligence and inventiveness of men I feel every day--but she would have loved to hold him and see his dimples. And to see Madie and watch her with her new baby brother would have delighted her.
Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed, we shall meet at last.
~Kathrina von Schlegel, translated by Jane Borthwick
4 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Mal. I hope you and your family find peace and comfort in the weeks ahead.
So sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing lady!
It was great to read this, Mal. Thinking of you. xoxox
I am so sorry about your grandma! Loss is never easy. Thinking of you!!! Take care!
Post a Comment