Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Declarations and Reviews

I went to look up last year's new year's resolutions to review how I did, and I realized I posted it on the 10th last year! I'll need to look up the year before, just to see if there's another coincidence--at which point it might stop being a coincidence and start being a message from the universe.

It's good for me to report on here what I accomplished and what I hope to accomplish. I feel more accountable. Not to mention it's easier to find and harder to lose.

Anyway, here's what 2011 looked like:

~Cracking my knuckles: soooo...I did really well for about three months. Then fell back into again. There goes the theory that it take 28 days to break a habit. That's something I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one.

~Writing every day: That one I was also doing pretty well on, but again, I let it go. (I should really be reviewing these in July or August. Hmmmm...)

~Reading the books on my 2011 List: I did pretty good--10 out of 17. And I would have read them all, but then I was asked to be in a book club, so I ended up reading books from that list. I've also read some books not on either list. But the point of this resolution was achieved, namely I didn't want to have big gaps of time in between reading because I didn't know what I wanted to read next. Since last year, I've also expanded my list. Basically what I'm saying is, I'm counting this one done.

~Get the blog background working: Done, and done. Although I do need to update it.

As for this year, I split them into categories, which maybe I did last year but just didn't write the categories down. Either way, I'm doing so here.

~Spiritual/Gospel: I really want to read and study Daughters in My Kingdom every Sunday. I have read parts of it, but I really want to study it in depth. And if I'm done with that sooner rather than later, I'll move on to studying from the Ensign every week--which I should be doing anyway, but I'm not.

~Skill: I'm not a master at knitting, but I've definitely gotten the hang of it, and now I want to try crocheting. I remember my grammy trying to teach me to crochet when I was maybe 8 or 9 but I also remember being bored out of my mind. I think it was largely due to age and also to the fact that she started out the way everyone does when they're teaching someone to crochet: "Here's how you make a chain." Boooooring. But that's the tradition. I plan to spend no more than 1 minute learning how to make a chain then get on with it. Bring on the blankets! Crocheted afghans are so beautiful!

~Experience: I really want to go cross-country skiing in Yosemite with Mike. If we get snow relatively soon, I can go in the next month or so before I start getting really big and uncomfortable. If not, we may need to wait until next winter. But I've never been cross-country skiing and I've never seen Yosemite in the winter. What better way to get both done at once?!

~Mental: Write every day. Seriously this time. And I'm putting a reminder in my phone for July to check over these and renew my resolve!

~Emotional/Physical: Plan, plant, and actually grow a potted garden on my patio. The thing is, we don't get direct sunlight ever on the patio--we get bright indirect sunlight. There are plenty of plants that grow well in that condition, I just need to find ones that do well in pots. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Jessica :) said...

I don't know much of anything about ideal growing conditions for plants. But I can tell you something a horticulture major and potted garden enthusiast told me. She said to use one pot for two different plants. For example, use a deep pot (like a 5 gallon bucket or something) to plant potatoes and pole beans. She said you can stick some kind of trellis thing right in the pot for the beans to grow up and the potatoes will go down. She really emphasized using vertical space for tomatoes, peas, beans, anything that will climb. So there's an uneducated opinion about potted gardening. :)
Also, I have to say that it seems like July/August is when my resolutions always start doing the worst, too. I completely forget about them. It's a good idea to review in the summer. Maybe I should do that this year.

Mal said...

Well, we have space for tomatoes and stuff like that--Mike has a garden plot at work. And that one does get direct sunlight, which is what a lot of those things like. But the planting two-things-in-one-pot thing is good to know. I know some plants need to get a little rootbound before they start producing--I wonder if that's why.