The following content may cause hypothermia and other cold stress related conditions. If any of the following symptoms are experienced while viewing this blog entry, please put on a jacket: teeth chattering, shortness of breath, and uncontrollable chills.
Who? Kevin Athey and myself (Mike). - What? Man camp, of course! No car camping this time though. We packed everything in approximately 5 miles via Glacier Point Road.
- Where? Badger Pass, Yosemite National Park.
- When? March 18th - 19th.
- Conditions? Lots of snow.
- Why? Because its so cool!

Here is Kevin, dragging a 6 ft. sled behind him full of gear. I did the same. It worked out really well actually. Much easier as far as balance goes and I didn't get uncontrollably sweaty with a pack on my back.

We went approximately 4.5-5 miles in before we set up camp. We decided to create a snow shelter instead of using tents.

We had to cut out some ice bricks to build the base, and level out the inside of it for sleeping and cooking areas.

Ouala! A canopy for a cover, and an entrance that won't catch any wind. Despite it's flaws (heavy snow all night nearly caving in the canopy), it worked well. It had to be at least 5 degrees warmer in there than it was outside, which is pretty amazing.

Photos from the next morning...



2 comments:
Beautiful! Looks like home--the part I DON'T miss...much. ;)
I'm glad you had a good time. That does not look at all fun to me! Give me a cabin, a warm fire and some hot chocolate and I'll happily look out the window at the beautiful snow anyday! I'm glad you didn't freeze.
Post a Comment