Monday, January 17, 2011

Man Camp: Winter in Yosemite Edition

THE CEREMONIAL PROPANE BLOW-TORCH OF MAN-CAMP! We camped at Hogdon Meadows, and really expected a lot more snow. The camp is pretty low in elevation, so I guess it was about right. We were ready for more though!

Sunrise through the grove. We are packing things up and getting ready to head over to the Nordic trail. I've been anxious to get out on the cross-country skis!

The beard does have a purpose, believe it or not!

We started on this loop, but I don't think it really looped. It kept going up the Tioga Pass, which is closed during the winter and quite a climb. We turned around after about 3.5 miles. Going down was so much fun on skis.

Kevin rocked the snow shoes, which are quite a bit more work than cross-country skis.

This was one of the vistas we saw. It probably got up to 40 - 50 degrees while on the trail. I was comfortably wearing a t-shirt the majority of the trail, which was awesome! Amazing weather. December and early January snow storms had left at least 3-5 feet of snow everywhere, but the warmer weather was melting that away quickly.

The gear. Thank you Russia.

Nearing the top of the loop.

After our hike, we headed down to Yosemite Valley for lunch and some photo opportunities. Going to Yosemite in the winter is probably the greatest time to visit. There are hardly any tourists!
A bridge crossing the Merced River.

Now standing on that bridge, staring down Yosemite Falls. Those were the falls that nearly killed us last July due to a very dehydrated hike.

This one actually turned out well. I snapped this one out the car window at 30 mph! Though, the pictures don't do El Cap' justice. You just have to see it in person to REALLY see it.

3 comments:

Mal said...

Wow! I'm impressed by that El Cap pic! I didn't realize you had taken it out the car window!

So the real question is: will Man Camp become an annual thing? Ehhhh?

Tiffany said...

That is awesome. My favorite place in the world. I have never been there in winter before, that sounds like a great trip!
Tyler

ML said...

Beautiful photos Mike! Sounds awesome.