Tuesday, January 25, 2011

For The Madie-Starved

Ya know what keeps me up at night? Writing. Sometimes it's so bad, I can't fall asleep at all until I've written something down, even if it's just a list of things. If I don't write, ideas keep coming into my head and just as soon as I get rid of one another comes. (You'd think I'd have a novel published by now, wouldn't you?!?) This is how it was last night. I have been so good about writing during the day--even if it's just a journal entry--except these past few. And I'm angry at myself because I realize now that it's the writing that has helped me sleep so well lately. So here I am, back at it. I'm just glad I have something to write about. 

Mike told me yesterday he wanted to record some specific things from right now in Madie's life so we can look back on them and (mostly) laugh. Ironically, I can't remember any of the specific things he mentioned. Anyway, this'll have to do.

Madie has been a paaaaaaaain lately. I mean, really. She screams at me when I'm not paying attention to her, she screams when I pick her up, she screams when I put her down, she screams when I read the "wrong" page of a book to her, she screams when I don't read to her at all, she screams when I read a book without looking at the pages (as I type: "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see..."). I mean, the girl has developed some serious attitude. So bad, in fact, that I have been looking for an answer from God to the question, "What can I do? Anything. I will do anything you tell me to."

Yesterday, the answer came.

We happened to have a full day scheduled (sort of, as far as my scheduling abilities take me). After getting the girls I nanny to school, we came home and got ready for a brunch to celebrate a friend's birthday (my friend's, not hers), then we went and there were kids galore to keep Madie distracted. Immediately after the brunch we went grocery shopping, which wiped her out so she took a nice, loooong nap. The second she was up we went to go pick up Calli, and when we got back, a friend called to see if we wanted to play at the park in our complex. Why, yes we would! We were outside straight from about 3:30 to 5 pm. So here's the answer to the problem: (1) let her socialize, and (2) whenever possible, do it outside.

Here's some outside time we enjoyed just this morning, in fact:



That rock kept her busy for a solid 15 minutes. The girl is not particularly good at entertaining herself when she's indoors. She is a social queen bee. (Gee. I wonder where she gets that from.) Of course I get worn out when I'm the only one she has to play with, but when she's with the horde of kids at the brunch or at the playground with four other kids, she is happy as can be! Same with the outdoors. She loves to be outside and to observe things; the noise of the rock hitting the cement, in this case.

Another new trend (which also wears me out) is clothes changing. I knew it would come someday though, so I guess I can't say I'm surprised. The girl is obsessed with clothes, especially pajamas, jackets, and shoes. She cries when you try to take any of those items off her without another at the immediate ready. 

Madie eats her peanut butter sandwich in a velvet and satin holiday dress. Very chic.
The day this picture was taken, she had been changed from her pajamas into day clothes, from day clothes back into pajamas, from those into this dress she saw in her closet, and from this dress (after a bath) into a onesie (no bottoms)--all at her request/approval. Oh, and by the way, she really likes to eat "like a big person" now--holding on to the main part of the food item and taking bites out of it. That's a big hit.





These are for Mum and Karen. Mum bought these matching aprons for us months ago, and one day Mike brought mine out and strapped Madie's onto her (despite me telling him it probably doesn't fit still and me already in one). It's still a little big, but she loves to "help" in the kitchen. Oven mitts are a particular favorite. Karen, I just knew you'd freak over the matchi-ness of them!


This isn't anything new, I just think the picture's cute. We all know how much Madie loves Mike over anyone else--including the woman who went through excruciating pain for twelve hours, not to mention weeks of recovery, to bring her into the world (hey, no bitterness here!). I don't know that Mike could be much happier either: he's holding his sweetie while watching a Nat'l Geo. documentary on Yellowstone. (The last of three, actually.)

10 comments:

ML said...

Mike said she was an outdoors girl--I guess he was right! Love the photos. Thanks.

Unknown said...

This is going to be three comments in one
Firs: That Madie knows what she wants! Don't hate ;)
Second: I love that you love to write so much because I love reading it! I seriously want to read one of your stories.
Third Those Nationl Geographic Documentaries are the bomb! They've given me serious urges to see Yosemite and visit Yellowstone again. and they make me feel good about watching T.V. because I am learning!

Karen said...

I have several comments as well. 1. Yes, very cute matchy aprons! 2. It's pretty apparent that Madie needs a sibling to play with - then she won't need you as much. 3. It's a good thing you live in California where the weather is nice pretty much all year round - she can spend lots of time outside. 4. She is starting to act just like a 2 year old should! AND 5. SHE IS SPUNKY AND ADORABLE!

Karen said...

P.S. I love your writing as well and think you should write a novel!

Michael said...

You pretty much covered all my suggestions. Since this blog acts as a pseudo babybook, I was just thinking of all the new things she has been doing lately and how much personality we are seeing that hasn't been recorded. And yes, the National Geographic Documentaries are amazing. Another great one is 180 Degrees South. Amazing!

Tiffany said...

ahh...welcome to motherhood Mal!! :) it's all about the schedule...and keeping them busy! I think a sibling is definitely called for here :)...part of my resolutions is giving up computer and anything else (cell phone, etc.) that will distract me from my kids between 3 and 7 PM...and you know what....they are just like Madi (Sorry...she's not growing out of it anytime soon I'm afraid)...they are SO much happier when I am playing with them, or friends are, or we have a busy schedule and stick with it...go on our bike/roller blade rides etc...cuts out any extra time to fight!! :)

But she is so darn cute...love the matching aprons...and to love your writings (although should I admit half of them go over my head :)...jk...sort of!)

Tiffany said...

And keep up the writing...I just ordered (and should be receiving on Thurs) my 2010 blog book...maxed it out this year at 440 pages...I can't wait to see it...but we LOVE going back and looking through previous years and seeing things they say/do, etc...and it's sad how much we forget (or at least I do)...

We were also watching some home videos...sometimes Ty or your dad would be recording the silliest things...or ask them the same things over and over again...or have them do their "signature move" that I thought I would NEVER forget because they do it ALL the time...sure enough...totally forgot and I was SO glad they caught it on video!! So keep those up too...even just your minute log blurps with digital camera

MJ said...

Ok, first, Madie is SOOOO cute!!

Also, I totally feel your pain about Madie loving Daddy most deal. Which is why I had a second kid. And someday, when we have a third, it will be because we make cute kids, lol. But Asher TOTALLY loves me most.

Ben and Kristen Call said...

Reese loves to be outside too. She is always walking over to the door and pointing to the door knob. UNFORTUNATELY we live in Rexburg where it is freezing outside...so Reese doesn't get out much. I seriously cannot wait for some warmer weather.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the matching aprons they are ADORABLE!

andalucy said...

I know what you mean about writing ideas overstimulating you and not letting you sleep. It's great that you are making time to do something you love.

Great too, of course, that you found out how to keep Madie mellow! :-)

Love those aprons.